PH crashes in Ray Tanks

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
So i have been on a good cruise on keeping my rays in good condition. They eat well but still not much breeding activity since I moved them to the bigger tank. An issue that i faced in one of my tanks pretty much made me lose my favorite ray and i have been keeping up with water changes, and water testing ever since. The culprit was a PH crash. I was wondering if anyone knows what causes a PH crash in ray tanks? this seems to particularly happen in ray tanks, I just cant find the direct reason why.

I now keep crushed coral in my sumps to prevent my PH dropping too far, but i could never figure out the reason why it happens. and i feel that the high PH is preventing the breeding conditions my rays are looking for.

When i lost my ray i realized my BB was completely dead because my PH dropped below 6 and it was so acidic when i added some baking soda to try and buffer, my tank fizzed a little. By the time i realized this issue, I lost 3 rays including my favorite female and was struggling hard to recycle my tank. luckily i had plenty of other sumps and i swapped alot of media and redid my filtration.

But now I know someone else struggling with this issue.

Does anyone know whats the direct cause? My water from my tap comes out to 7.4 so its pretty neutral. so my source isnt the problem.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Honestly i think u have been having so many problems is with your rays is bc u do too much. I wouldnt be messing around with baking soda and crushed coral. Just set up a drip system with a carbon filter and u dont have to worry about water changes.

Your ph is going to fluctuate more if u keep adding things like that

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I dont add anything else anymore lol. ive been doing dandy just leaving it be. I havent had the time or the money to set up a drip system yet. i still need to find a way to route it all around my basement. your rays eat the most though lol. i go through about a lb of food a day just for the 5 biggies. the 3 small rays all on pellets and shrimp. earthworms every now and then.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I dont add anything else anymore lol. ive been doing dandy just leaving it be. I havent had the time or the money to set up a drip system yet. i still need to find a way to route it all around my basement. your rays eat the most though lol. i go through about a lb of food a day just for the 5 biggies. the 3 small rays all on pellets and shrimp. earthworms every now and then.
Lol yea i know the feeling.....i go thru about the same with all my fish haha.....

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
This is only half true. especially if your PH goes below 6. Once your ph goes below 6 your Bacteria stops working and you'll just poison your tank all together.
This is completely untrue your understanding of water chemistry is very, very far off.

Reactions: Beester15

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
How do you think fish survive in acidic water in the wild??? Bacteria can and will survive in anything. However there is an optimal range for BB to grow in. If said bacteria had grown in a pH of 7 and you let the pH dropen down to 5.5 then yes that bacteria will most likely die off or stop nitrifying. If however you keep your system at 5.5 steadily new bacteria will hatch and grow in that pH for you. It is not as efficient as bacteria in a higher pH though. Meaning it does not break down waste as quickly as the other bacteria. So that is why everyone says stability is key. Consistency is what you are trying to achieve.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
How do you think fish survive in acidic water in the wild??? Bacteria can and will survive in anything. However there is an optimal range for BB to grow in. If said bacteria had grown in a pH of 7 and you let the pH dropen down to 5.5 then yes that bacteria will most likely die off or stop nitrifying. If however you keep your system at 5.5 steadily new bacteria will hatch and grow in that pH for you. It is not as efficient as bacteria in a higher pH though. Meaning it does not break down waste as quickly as the other bacteria. So that is why everyone says stability is key. Consistency is what you are trying to achieve.
even in the wild i dont think ph goes below 6. there is always something to buffer. i have researched a few sites and all say the ph will die off. and any bacteria that does survive under 6 generally dont utalize ammonia or nitrite as a source of food. especially if you have low KH. my knowledge of of water chemistry is fine... jerk. i run my tanks pretty stable past few months so far. especially since i have crushed coral as a buffer.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
even in the wild i dont think ph goes below 6. there is always something to buffer. i have researched a few sites and all say the ph will die off. and any bacteria that does survive under 6 generally dont utalize ammonia or nitrite as a source of food. especially if you have low KH. my knowledge of of water chemistry is fine... jerk. i run my tanks pretty stable past few months so far. especially since i have crushed coral as a buffer.
PH can and most definitely is below 6 in the wild in some cases in SA. Can be 4.5-5.5.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store