Lessons learned with relocating your fish during a move

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Will be moving about 3hrs away not too far but considering the movers and all they could be sitting in buckets for a few additional hours...anyway anyone have some stories regarding what you learned from the experience and what you could have done better?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Is there any way you can set up a tank at the new destination in advance. I did this when I moved into my current house a few years ago. I set up a tank in the new house with some media from the established tanks. It took me some few days to pack and move my other stuff. By the time I had done some of that, the new tank had a stable temp and the filters were checked out. I moved the fish and plants with some media during one of the trips. It was fairly quick to break down the rest of the tanks and do a quick setup at the new place.

If you have to do the move in one trip, be sure to keep some of the media in water.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Big tubs, heater, air pump. Keep some prime (or similar) on hand in case the fish are in the tubs for a while, and move the filter media in the tubs with the fish. Thats how I moved mine, I also had tanks set up in the new house for my fish to go in while we were setting up the main tanks. The only thing I'd suggest is to make sure that the person driving your fish from A to B knows the importance of their job, or, if you can drive them yourself, DO IT! :)

Other than that, good luck with your move.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Also stop feeding them 2 or 3 days before the move so they do not produce waste in the water.

Reactions: skjl47

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Good tips guys thanks. No i probably wont be able to set up a tank in advance. But i should be able to atleast drive them myself

Pycnotic

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2016
I have completed many moves with fish, I have an inverter so I could plug in heater, air pump and filter. I bought a fluval 204 on kijiji ran it on my aquarium for 3 weeks before the move, then placed it in the Rubbermaid I was using to move them. Do not feed for 2 days before the trip. And do a big water change when you stop feeding. During the move, I always kept two 5g water bottles ready and would do 25% water changes every 1/3 of the drive (one was across Canada, Toronto to Vancouver, I used hotel water for that one)

Reactions: jaws7777

Icthisapian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2012
Wareham, MA
i've done several moves with a variety of fish (Large ones up to 3'). Biggest thing i have learned is to have an exit strategy. When i moved my 3 2'+cats and a 30"+ Arowanna the basement of my new house, where i was supposed to set up my tank, flooded. They sat in a 100 gallon rubber maid for a month during the clean up process. I just moved again this February, and in the cold north, don't leave your fish unattended. I moved and immediately had to go on a business trip. In the confusion my wife forgot to do the morning and afternoon water changes...and forgot to keep them warm. Lost 15 fish that week. So always always always plan ahead for your moves. Unless you are driving more than 6 hours, water will hold enough O2 for them to make the trip (even with all the sloshing). But one poster said to stop feeding 2-3 days before hand. I would stop feeding 5 or more days, depending on size of the fish. You really want them to be as empty as possible and as HEALTHY as possible. Health is key. If they have to sit for an extended period in a tank during a move, use a sponge filter that was in their original tank. It will help, albeit not a solution, to help keep water clean and oxygenated.

Icthisapian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2012
Wareham, MA
i've done several moves with a variety of fish (Large ones up to 3'). Biggest thing i have learned is to have an exit strategy. When i moved my 3 2'+cats and a 30"+ Arowanna the basement of my new house, where i was supposed to set up my tank, flooded. They sat in a 100 gallon rubber maid for a month during the clean up process. I just moved again this February, and in the cold north, don't leave your fish unattended. I moved and immediately had to go on a business trip. In the confusion my wife forgot to do the morning and afternoon water changes...and forgot to keep them warm. Lost 15 fish that week. So always always always plan ahead for your moves. Unless you are driving more than 6 hours, water will hold enough O2 for them to make the trip (even with all the sloshing). But one poster said to stop feeding 2-3 days before hand. I would stop feeding 5 or more days, depending on size of the fish. You really want them to be as empty as possible and as HEALTHY as possible. Health is key. If they have to sit for an extended period in a tank during a move, use a sponge filter that was in their original tank. It will help, albeit not a solution, to help keep water clean and oxygenated.
Also, those big rubbermaids are a great, cheap way to move fish. Screw a piece of plexy or plywood to the top as a secure lid...i even used weather stripping to help keep the water in due to sloshing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store