Introducing Flash

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
they wont legalize asian arowana due to the fact that the trade has made wild populations extremely fragile and while they can be exported there is little chance of recovery. they do not allow most endangered creatures import

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
they wont legalize asian arowana due to the fact that the trade has made wild populations extremely fragile and while they can be exported there is little chance of recovery. they do not allow most endangered creatures import
Yes I understand that but most are farm bred now tag and certified. Canada, Europe, asia, and other nation sell them.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yes I understand that but most are farm bred now tag and certified. Canada, Europe, asia, and other nation sell them.
Yes. That is quite acceptable but would almost be difficult to monitor

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Sharing some recent experience:

Keeping Flash overall has been a smooth experience so far. Once he was settled into his tank in our home, his eating has been proper and also he appears friendly and not bothered about anything. Mostly seems like a happy-go-lucky chap.

In order to monitor flash mainly, I have setup an IP Camera at home, running all the time, now it helps me to watch him from anywhere, using my phone. Otherwise when ever we were away from home, we were always anxious about his condition.

Feeding: Mostly eats Market Prawns, with either Hikari or AR G1 pellets inside. Secondly give him Mealworm, found one good source where I get Mealworm in my city and I am also learning now how to breed them. First attempt was failure, currently on second attempt where I have now a group of Beatles surviving and doing their act. Waiting for the next batch of mealworms from them, hopefully. Once in a while, for a change, I give flash Dried Frozen Shrimp, he like it for a change. no live food at all.

2 weeks back I got hold of Super worms, a sample to try out. Unfortunately, I observed flash was getting one of his eyes cloudy (minor like a small line) within 2 days of eating super worms. For Cloudy eye did the following treatment: Firstly did a water test and found all water param in safe limit (Ammonia:0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate<10 ppm, PH: 7.4). Did an immediate water change of 50% and added Ocean Free Aquarium salt and raised temp to 30 C. Temp was already at 27-29 C most of the time before. Cloudy eye reduced within 2 days. Additionally added Ocean Free Anti Cloudy Eye medicine, for any full and final eradication. It was all clear in 3-4 days.

After a week fed him the remaining super worms, and to my surprise, his other eye got similar cloudy eye within 2 days (thus almost concluding that it was due to the feeding of super worms). Did the same treatment like above and his cloudy eye vanished.

Water and Parameters: Have been constantly checking and maintaining water parameters. So far there hasn't been any instance of water related issues. Have 2 Canister filters running on either side of the 6 feet aquarium and I ensure that if I find anything floating around remove them immediately. It is a Bare bottom Tank and the floor is clean most of the time. In general the default water temp is also in the range of 27-29 C. Having Heater, API water test kit and TDS and temp monitor kit to monitor the water parameters. My water change frequency is weekly, around 40% on average. I do monitor the input water parameters before changing and if within safe range, do the change on week end. On few occasions, I found TDS levels increase on tap water source, then I avoid the change on that day and wait.

Other than flash, I have one 4 feet tank where I have a school of Tinfoil Barbs and a separate Betta tank where I have a blue color Betta. Water change frequency is same for all other fish mates.

Reactions: Hendre

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Last week end, I have been to my ancestral home town some 500 km away. Flash has been lucky since I got him some Crickets, Earth worms, and a 4-5" Centepede. All naturally grown, without any controls or pesticides.

Flash finished all in one go, and asking for more. Now he need to wait for my next trip.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Looking good!

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
They are CITES appendix I, and a number of farms in Asia have CITES permits. However, they are blocked at the federal level by the U.S. Endangered Species Act. Many other endangered species do not appear on this list such as Bosemani rainbowfish and Siberian Sturgeon. The ESA needs to be updated IMO. People should be able to farm and sell fishes that are captive bred and pose no threat to wild populations and ecosystems.

Reactions: Rotaryp04s

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
IMG_1136.JPG IMG_1135.JPG IMG_1143.JPG IMG_1133.JPG Some recent pics taken today, all pics taken with regular white tube light. Along with Flash, sharing my Betta Fish pic also.

Flash is still growing, and coloring up and his movements more graceful and adult-like, is more friendly with us and even allow me to touch his back quite often. He is quite easy to feed and shows his interest to food with his swift movements while I come for feeding. Its quite amazing that he understand that it is feeding time. With his mannerisms I can also now understand how much he is going to eat, so mostly avoids overfeeding. However still a few occasions, I see his food being spit out the next day, which I have to clean out.

We are now used to seeing his occasional jumping above water, mostly exploring-like, but a few occasions I was quite afraid with the massive thud noise, that something may happen to him or tank. I have secured the tank lid with a strap which is on all the time, except feeding and cleaning time.

During the first week of October 2016, while I was doing the regular water change and cleaning, he suddenly came and bit my little finger. I think he mistook it for his regular prawns or something may be. I got a good bruise on my little finger and was bleeding for few minutes. He realised his mistake and slowly moved away. On the same night he jumped with a massive thud noise and got 2 big wounds on his head and his outside jaws and gill plate. One scar from that can still be seen in one of the pic. Almost all wounds vanished within few days and all seems normal.

IMG_1092.JPG

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store