predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
a nice reward for standing out in the July sun for 6 hours in the A.M. last month (one of 4 Channels and 5 Flatheads we got that morning), this one was the biggest Channel, a bit over 5lbs, 24" L , 13" G - almost positive she was gravid P predatorkeeper87

View attachment 1198530 View attachment 1198531

one of my 3 Flatheads today, scrawny and dwarfish, this one weighed 11lbs. 12oz, 31.5"L and 18" G followed by another weighing 7lbs. 10oz., 27" L and 16" G and finally just at nightfall another at 6lbs. 9oz., 26"L, 15.5" G....all caught on Creek Chub/Nightcrawler combo (2) and Creek Chub/Hellgrammite combo (1)

View attachment 1198532 View attachment 1198533
I also got a 2 dinks - a 10" Largemouth on a Crawler/Chub combo and a 10" Smallmouth on a free-floating Hellgrammite
hahaha throwing me sympathy tags now huh?

that channel is either gravid or just destroyed a sunfish lol.

Flatties are always good regardless if they are dinks or not haha, I love how they fight and look.

P.S. I see you also rock the typical PA redneck fishing outfit: beater, swim trunks, sandals.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
hahaha throwing me sympathy tags now huh?

that channel is either gravid or just destroyed a sunfish lol.

Flatties are always good regardless if they are dinks or not haha, I love how they fight and look.

P.S. I see you also rock the typical PA redneck fishing outfit: beater, swim trunks, sandals.
belly was pretty soft, so that's why I guessed gravid, felt like a big mass of squishy eggs

I used to wear cargo shorts, w/ several pockets that were kinda like an extension of my fishing vest, they stayed wet forever if I had to go deep for whatever reason, and I frequently fish up to my neck w/ just my arms and head above water when it's hot like this so swimtrunk dry out nywhere from 20-60 minutes usually. I only wear a shirt so I don't catch to much sunburn - we Irish are ghostly pale lolol. The sandals I could do without, and Sneakers fall apart after they get wet - I would prefer a pair of wading boots, but we just have too many things in the water that can Buss' ya ass (or feet) to go barefoot. Barefoot is TRUE redneck lololoool

The actual reason I sent you an alert was because my friend and I were both marveling at this Channel......neither of us thought it was normal at 24" for it to still have such light coloration and it's juvenile speckled pattern. I have caught plenty of Channel cats 18"- 29" and IIRC, they ALL start to get quite dark around the 20" mark, maybe sooner.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
belly was pretty soft, so that's why I guessed gravid, felt like a big mass of squishy eggs

I used to wear cargo shorts, w/ several pockets that were kinda like an extension of my fishing vest, they stayed wet forever if I had to go deep for whatever reason, and I frequently fish up to my neck w/ just my arms and head above water when it's hot like this so swimtrunk dry out nywhere from 20-60 minutes usually. I only wear a shirt so I don't catch to much sunburn - we Irish are ghostly pale lolol. The sandals I could do without, and Sneakers fall apart after they get wet - I would prefer a pair of wading boots, but we just have too many things in the water that can Buss' ya ass (or feet) to go barefoot. Barefoot is TRUE redneck lololoool

The actual reason I sent you an alert was because my friend and I were both marveling at this Channel......neither of us thought it was normal at 24" for it to still have such light coloration and it's juvenile speckled pattern. I have caught plenty of Channel cats 18"- 29" and IIRC, they ALL start to get quite dark around the 20" mark, maybe sooner.

Your thoughts?
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Went fishing with a rc boat today, didn't catch any fish but saw a mink,and a silver colored groundhog, the area isn't great fish habitat
funny, I saw a mink, (I originally thought it was a small otter) when I fishing the other day,
I didn't know what it was until I looked it up the, but I've never fishing using an RC boat, sounds interesting. 15lbs for a rainbow!? was it stocked or wild?
you just reminded me, I saw a Mink yesterday when I was fishing, waiting for my friend to show up....I saw something swimming away from the tailwaters at the dam and I said the same thing to myself "Is that an Otter......or a BEAVER???" and I looked as he got closer to me and I saw a more narrow face with a big-ass crayfish sticking out of his mouth flailing it claws wildly, but the Mink was a well-versed hunter and already had the crayfish behind the head . Then he swam along side the little island I was fishing off of and I watched hm rustle through the foliage and disappear to go have dinner. He must have a den somewhere on the island, there is ALOT of cover and fallen trees and huge root systems and whatnot for him to have a family

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
Yeah it popped out a hole in the bank and I was just like "What the ****, is that a ferret" as it scared the crap out of me, it was only a few feet from where I was sitting. It sat there staring at me from its hole, until I moved then it ran off
it was later catching bullfrogs a few feet away. Came back a few times to see if I left. then finally ran off into the bushes behind me.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania

Your thoughts?
I see channels in the 20" range with the speckling up here from time to time, but ya at 24" that is quite unique, I honestly didn't even notice until you brought it up haha I was looking at the flatheads moreso.

Reactions: Frank Castle

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.

Your thoughts?
Get yourself a pair of these. This is what we use in the islands. The bottom is like a scrubber. Slippery rocks? No problem. Mines need to be replaced by now. They have insane rips and tears from the coral and sharp lava rocks that I deal with. They have saved my feet/ankles/etc, from some pretty nasty cuts... As well as i'm sure numerous falls because they provide incredible grip on slippery surfaces. I prefer a good inexpensive pair of rubber slippers in most situations. I bet I can rock hop better than most with my slippers vs. anyone with shoes (I hike in slippers). With tabis I will out perform anyone with any other type of footwear. I will also go barefoot where most don't dare. Lol.

image.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Get yourself a pair of these. This is what we use in the islands. The bottom is like a scrubber. Slippery rocks? No problem. Mines need to be replaced by now. They have insane rips and tears from the coral and sharp lava rocks that I deal with. They have saved my feet/ankles/etc, from some pretty nasty cuts... As well as i'm sure numerous falls because they provide incredible grip on slippery surfaces. I prefer a good inexpensive pair of rubber slippers in most situations. I bet I can rock hop better than most with my slippers vs. anyone with shoes (I hike in slippers). With tabis I will out perform anyone with any other type of footwear. I will also go barefoot where most don't dare. Lol.

View attachment 1198783
nah, I never wear rubber :D

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
Finally back to civilization from Sitka Alaska. Three months chartering there and you start to miss your tanks. Got to get a few days of fun fishing in but not much. Did some commercial fishing to which kept it interesting. Lovely surprise when I got home to all my fish starting to get huge

IMG_20160630_135607709_HDR.jpg

151094.jpeg

IMG_20160707_094124962.jpg

IMG_20160630_135607709_HDR.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store