First potential fish show?

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So my local fish club (covers central Texas so not really "local") is having their big annual convention in October. They are wanting to do a fish show and I'm interested in entering. However I've never done something like this and I need help... Only reason I'm asking here is because a lot of people in the group are African keepers and I feel like I may have to do some things different for SA/CA as they are bigger/deeper bodied. Most likely be entering my 8.5" green terror, 6" super red severum, 5" Amphilophus Lyonsi (may grow more in that time), and 4.5" heros notatus (also may grow).

First issue is transport. The convention is being held about an hour and 1/2 away and over multiple days. As I understand it, fish for show would be set up on Friday and the show and judging would be Saturday. How should I be moving the fish and what size tank should I have each of them in for these 2 days?

Just got thumbs up on blacking out the back, sides and bottom of tanks for the show. Is that something I'd want to do?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: jeaninel

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Nice fish. What is the red one in the second picture? Looks like a show fish to me, but what do I know.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Generally the club would provide the tanks. I;ve never heard people bringing their own. If you do however, make it easy on yourself and bring ten gallon tanks. I don't have any input on blacking them out. It really depends on what would make the fish comfortable. One thing you want to be sure to do is be very gentle moving the fish. Judges look for fish in perfect condition. Missing scales, dings or torn tins all work against you. Don't net the fish to move it. Get a large garbage bag and submerge then chase the fish into the bag. Transfer to a five gallon bucket in the bag. Most show they are looking for adult fish. If the fish is juvenile it might net be worth taking it. Bring water conditioner, siphon and bucket. You will. Need to keep the water clean and fresh with water changes. If this is your first show...and if it's your clubs first show, by all means attend and participate. Its lots of fun. Hope this helps.

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
Good advice from AquaMojo above. If this is your first show, maybe consider only taking one or two fish until you get the hang of it. Adult fish are what will win shows, so your GT is probably the best bet.

Some folks will bring their own water from home to do water changes, but that is really up to you. Make sure to dechlorinate the water, even if the host club says it has been done.

A little trick - figure out when the judging is and do a water change with warm water right before the judging. Typically the tanks are unheated, and while the fish will be fine at cooler temperatures, they tend to become lethargic. A nice warm water change will perk them up right before the judging. Good luck!

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Another trick...one of the things judges look at is deportment...how the fish interacts. judges will typically look at the tank with a flashlight to examine the fish. With any of my show fish...that's how I would feed them weeks and months prior to get the association. I'd shine the flashlight and put in food. Worked best with the big guys.

Reactions: Buphy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store