Huge WC Mystery Snails

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Our streams and reservoirs are loaded with introduced fresh water clams(Corbicula fluminea) as a kid would keep them in aquariums. In the taro growing districts you will find apple snails, I have heard of them being collected as edibles but they are considered a major pest by the taro farmers

Reactions: TroyMIfishkeeper

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
Never had much luck with freshwater mussels, they would live4 to7 months then die, maybe not enough zooplankton?
Could be. To feed them I usually grind up fish flakes into a powder and put them in the water, almost immediately the clam's siphon-thing extends and it begins feeding. I also have numerous plants in the tank, so maybe it's feeding on the plant matter as well?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I once was swimming and felt something under my foot , I pulled up a huge mussel that was almost as big as my hand, I put it back so it could keep growing, I've heard that if left undos turned oysters basically live forever and can grow to 3 feet, maybe mussels r similar

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
I once was swimming and felt something under my foot , I pulled up a huge mussel that was almost as big as my hand, I put it back so it could keep growing, I've heard that if left undos turned oysters basically live forever and can grow to 3 feet, maybe mussels r similar
Hmm, interesting. I am considering collecting some more freshwater mussels sometime, the one I have is a thin oval shape but I have also found ones that are a bit more circular, curious to see how those will do in captivity.

lifesabichir

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2016
Are you guys sure these are mystery snails ? True mystery snails (apple snails) have a breathing siphon, that they use to take in air at the water's surface. Does your snail have a breathing siphon ? If it does not, it is not a mystery snail.
Here is what the mystery snail siphon looks like.
I see them all over some lakes here. They aren't true mystery snails but read they go by Chinese mystery snail or trap door snail and they give live birth.

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
I see them all over some lakes here. They aren't true mystery snails but read they go by Chinese mystery snail or trap door snail and they give live birth.
Yeah, I was just about to post that I believe they're actually Japanese trap door snails. I saw a picture online and it appears it's an exact match.
The live birth is interesting, I didn't know there were snails that did that... Now I'm curious if the little snails that would occasionally show up in my tank were from the plants I was buying, or if they were offspring? LOL

lifesabichir

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2016
Yeah, I was just about to post that I believe they're actually Japanese trap door snails. I saw a picture online and it appears it's an exact match.
The live birth is interesting, I didn't know there were snails that did that... Now I'm curious if the little snails that would occasionally show up in my tank were from the plants I was buying, or if they were offspring? LOL
Yep. They also need a male to give birth. The mother has the babies, grabs them with her tentacles, and removes the membrane and set them free. They only have between 4-20 at a time. It's really neat to watch. I live in Michigan as well and see them all over lakes edges. Biggest I ever found had a shell 3 inches long.

Reactions: TroyMIfishkeeper
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store