Who's kept a retic?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
How long did you have it for?
What happend to it?
no idea which of these guys have kept but here...
spotfin spotfin
moosemj moosemj
jim barry jim barry
just to start it off with some of the bigger ray guys I can think of

Ashley106

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2014
England
I think I'll answer in away where I think the questions ur asking relate to are retics hard to keep and blah blah blah and yes I've owned retics

Retics can and do live as long in captivity as all the other Ray's , but retics are the cheapest Ray's and don't get purchased by suppliers or stores that no what there doing with Ray's and at one point of there life end up being stupidly thin and either die or get brought back to health , that's y retics have a bad name for being a bad starter Ray and tbh they are because they are fussy and so on

Jeff on here not sure of his user name keeps 2 females and 1 male retic They must be 4 years old by now and bred in captivity I think these where also his first Ray's

Reactions: moosemj

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
viper0397 viper0397 has breeding retics, probably the best authority in them that I know of. I've never kept them.

Reactions: viper0397

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
Moosemj isn't right! My retics at least my females are about 4 years old. My male is about 3 years old. One of My female is on her third pregnancy right now.

I bought them all captive bred so I was already ahead of the game. They are not the easiest to care for in the fact that they are crazy picky eaters. I had a very hard time weening them off from live blackworms. I have had to mix what I wanted them to eat with the live blackworms after actually starving them for a bit. They now eat ghost shrimp, frozen raw shrimp, red worms, and found out just this morning they will eat frozen bloodworms, and of course live blackworms. Of the foods they will eat they are voracious eaters and fight over the food. I do have one female that will eat hikari carnivore pellets, but that is it.

They make great pets and interact with me quite well. I do 50 percent water changes on the tank 2 times a week. The tank is 240 gallons. I think my females are maxed out at about 14 inches in diameter. I have been told they can live up to 20 years and I plan on keeping them that long.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Preacher

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
west tennessee
I have a retic Ray and it was my first one. I have had her almost 2 years. She eats like a pig and now I also have a male hystrix. She was by far the easiest to get to eat. She loves earthworms and pellets.

daphilster08

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
St. Paul/Duluth(college) MN
I imported 20 retics with a friend this past fall. Wild caught. The hardest rays to keep alive in the hobby in my eyes are wild caught retics. Why? Because most people buy them from pet stores or importers that DO NOT medicate. I medicated heavily for parasites (prazi- veterinarian grade stuff) and turned my retics into monsters. When I got them, they were super skinny and didn't look healthy. They still ate but didn't gain weight. After being treated for parasites, I would feed them black worms daily and they always had a chubby butt. Anyway, hope this helps.

Not many people breeding retics but getting captive bred ones would obviously be a step ahead of the game and make things easier.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Like many, Retics were my first rays. I kept three for just over a year before losing them in a short time period. IME Retics are sensitive to their environment. Big changes in tank mates or moving them to a new tank seem to really bother them. If you can get them established w/o many changes, they should be good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store