Did I get the right foam board?

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
The gap must be significant to still have a gap with 3/4" foam. Is the top of your stand warped?

edit: I just re-read the op, we're talking gap of an ID card? I guess even with the compression, the foam would still give if we're talking something like a driver's license being inserted.
Yeah the gap was pretty significant before the foam, now I have to push a little bit to get my card under. I think I can still see a small gap but that might just be reflection playing tricks on my eyes

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Given the nature of the styrofoam, I think being able to slide a card is normal...although I've not tried it.

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
Here is a pic of the gap. You can only see it at night with the light on. 1st pic is the main gap, 2nd pic shows the part of the tank with no gap, for comparison.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
In the first picture, is that of the very thin edge of tank light showing through that you noted earlier? So is it just small section of one side and the rest does not expose any light? I'm just trying to see how the light is "leaking" through with the thick sand there? The second picture is a bit hard to see the details and isn't too clear.

Knowing what I know up to this point, I would swap out for the 1/2" white foam. This doesn't mean what you have is not safe. If I had to make a determination if it was safe or unsafe, I'd say it was (but I'm just a random person on a fish forum LOL).

Ignorance is blitz. But given that I was recommended to use 1/2" white foam because it crushes better (I'd assume is a bit less forgiving than a thicker one but enough to support any imperfections) I'd be negligent not to take his advise. My OCD will eventually kick in and I wouldn't let it go. So better to just swap it out. That's what I personally would do.

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
In the first picture, is that of the very thin edge of tank light showing through that you noted earlier? So is it just small section of one side and the rest does not expose any light? I'm just trying to see how the light is "leaking" through with the thick sand there? The second picture is a bit hard to see the details and isn't too clear.

Knowing what I know up to this point, I would swap out for the 1/2" white foam. This doesn't mean what you have is not safe. If I had to make a determination if it was safe or unsafe, I'd say it was (but I'm just a random person on a fish forum LOL).

Ignorance is blitz. But given that I was recommended to use 1/2" white foam because it crushes better (I'd assume is a bit less forgiving than a thicker one but enough to support any imperfections) I'd be negligent not to take his advise. My OCD will eventually kick in and I wouldn't let it go. So better to just swap it out. That's what I personally would do.
Thank you for your reply! I may end up switching it out just to be safe, but I really don't want to do it any time soon. I am still keeping my fingers crossed that it will settle a bit more and close the gap too.

Now that you mention it, I dont know how it is that the light is shining through that crack under the sand...

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
Could I maybe shim it with some business cards between the foam and stand? Seems safe as any imperfection will be flattened out anyway...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store