1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY SF BAY WALMART'S PUFFER FREE!

PufferCorps

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
hayward ca
www.pufferfishrescue.org
My Walmart has excellent healthy fish that provide people who don't have a quality lfs to go to in a small town somewhere to get supplies and healthy fish I guess I'll agree to disagree and move on from here.
Do you think I could get the address of your Walmart? I want to make sure that pet dept gets credit for a job well done. Its not too often I get a chance to give Walmart a Atta Boy!

PufferCorps

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
hayward ca
www.pufferfishrescue.org
Is Walmart natorious for poor puffer care? Asking as Walmart around me (maybe in all of ontario) no longer carry livestock
Puffers are at the center of the BlackFish collusion. Quality Pets intentionally withholds food from Puffers which increases their stress level. This causes them to secrete their poison Tetrodotoxin . Over 10 months at 18 Walmarts I have conducted 100's of water tests of Walmarts tanks and they are always within correct parameters.
the starving puffers are contributing to the high fish mortality rates.

Why would QP leave stressed puffers in Walmart display tank 's where they endanger other fish, while they allways keep puffers separate in their warehouse?

so Walmart can sell their exclusive brands, Aqua Culture and Aqua Tech, to impulse buyers.

I call it Blackfish because Tetra (and others) is also involved in the production of Aqua Culture. Go to Seaworlds educational website under home aquariums, and you'll find Tetra as their Hobbyists Hotline experts.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I love what you're doing, your dedication and empathy for these beautiful, intelligent creatures is admirable and refreshing.

Reactions: PufferCorps

PufferCorps

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
hayward ca
www.pufferfishrescue.org
I love what you're doing, your dedication and empathy for these beautiful, intelligent creatures is admirable and refreshing.
Thank you!
I wish I could say it's because I'm so damm good hearted. honestly, I was just trying to keep the nightmares away. I couldn't sleep knowing that I walked away the first time I found Puffers at Walmart. I went back and bought every Puff in the Bay Area for 6 months, till I finally got them to stop. The feeling of knowing it's possible to stop the suffering of these tiny insignificant fish, is well worth the outrageous food and power bills. I still have 54 resident Puffs awaiting adoption.

Reactions: adamsfishes

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
Congrats!

I have yet to find a single walmart yet that houses any of its fish in a satisfactory manor. Tanks stuffed full of fish, dead fish always floating around the tanks, water changes done so rarely that most of the time I can smell the tanks before I see them. It's so bad that my wife and I play a sick game of "How many dead ones are there this time?!?!" I laugh that some of you have the nerve to justify one store when thousands of others provide garbage conditions for live fish.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Honestly I can't even look at the tanks half the time. Just seeing 5 or more Oscars cramped in those 5 gallon, or whatever they are, tanks is disturbing.

Reactions: PufferCorps

PufferCorps

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
hayward ca
www.pufferfishrescue.org
Congrats!

I have yet to find a single walmart yet that houses any of its fish in a satisfactory manor. Tanks stuffed full of fish, dead fish always floating around the tanks, water changes done so rarely that most of the time I can smell the tanks before I see them. It's so bad that my wife and I play a sick game of "How many dead ones are there this time?!?!" I laugh that some of you have the nerve to justify one store when thousands of others provide garbage conditions for live fish.
"nerve to justify" ?

I'm going to explain to you why things are the way they are at Walmart.
I was told this by the Quality Pets Inc driver, when I finally tracked him down after 2 months of chasing him across 2 county's.
Walmart has what are called "wet" and "dry" stores. "Dry" stores sell only pet food, and supplys. "Wet" stores have live fish. Walmart "dry" stores don't make a profit, they only make enough in revenues to stay in the black. "Wet" stores are where Walmart makes a profit, but not from live fish sales.
Consider the fact, as you said, that Walmart is world renowned as having the absolute worst tank conditions. The fish are Walmarts lowest priority not because the Walmart associates dont care, because they would care if the head office told them to. Walmart's revenues increase with customer complaints. Trust me, Walmart isnt stupid or just lazy about cleaning, sympathy buyers buy Aqua Culture, and are trapped into repeat business for replacement parts. Aqua Tech and Aqua Culture aquarium kits are Walmarts brand.

I commend anyone who makes an effort for the fish at any store, but Especially Walmart, because that person is risking their job. Laugh if t helps you feel good about yourself,but I will continue to give credit where credit is due.
I'm working behind the scenes with the company responsible for scheduled maintenance in order to turn this situation around, and make c;lean tanks the norm, and not the exception.

Last edited:

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
PufferCorps PufferCorps
Yea! The nerve! Atta boy there "wet" store for housing your live animals as they should be kept. As you said, you are working with the cleaning company to make it the rule not the exception that there tanks be clean. There should be no need to enforce a rule of cleanliness. PERIOD! A shop that sells anything furry or feathered would be shut down in a heart beat if citizens reported kennels/cages with dead puppies/chics and feces all over. You hear about those cases all the time. Why are fish the exception? You mentioned profits go up relative to customer complaints.... I'm sure your puffer campaign made them millions then. Congrats on becoming part of the problem and not part of the solution. What's really sad about all this is that you are trying to do something good and instead just fed the monster and all they did in regards to your outcry was reroute the shipments of puffers to stores you haven't made it to yet and you now have a house full of hungry mouths to feed. Lol... wally world is having a sale on Kleenex right now. I don't purchase a single thing fish related from wally world and everyone that engages in conversation with me regarding fish I always tell them why they too should never purchase anything fish related from them either. Everyone is worried about when regulations will come to fish keepers. I believe big box stores that sell fish kept in deplorable conditions will be the straw that breaks the horses back because frankly I am even getting fed up with hearing/seeing that hot mess every time I go to a "wet" store.

PufferCorps

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
hayward ca
www.pufferfishrescue.org
PufferCorps PufferCorps
Yea! The nerve! Atta boy there "wet" store for housing your live animals as they should be kept. As you said, you are working with the cleaning company to make it the rule not the exception that there tanks be clean. There should be no need to enforce a rule of cleanliness. PERIOD! A shop that sells anything furry or feathered would be shut down in a heart beat if citizens reported kennels/cages with dead puppies/chics and feces all over. You hear about those cases all the time. Why are fish the exception? You mentioned profits go up relative to customer complaints.... I'm sure your puffer campaign made them millions then. Congrats on becoming part of the problem and not part of the solution. What's really sad about all this is that you are trying to do something good and instead just fed the monster and all they did in regards to your outcry was reroute the shipments of puffers to stores you haven't made it to yet and you now have a house full of hungry mouths to feed. Lol... wally world is having a sale on Kleenex right now. I don't purchase a single thing fish related from wally world and everyone that engages in conversation with me regarding fish I always tell them why they too should never purchase anything fish related from them either. Everyone is worried about when regulations will come to fish keepers. I believe big box stores that sell fish kept in deplorable conditions will be the straw that breaks the horses back because frankly I am even getting fed up with hearing/seeing that hot mess every time I go to a "wet" store.
Your energy would be better spent by turning your need to rant on to the ones responsible for this, instead of stroking off for the selfish joy of simply being obnoxious.
I invite you to compress that oozing sore in your heart in the proper direction where it will do some good, and join me and others who are making a difference, and send your stores address to: pufferrescue@gmail.com

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

PufferCorps

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
hayward ca
www.pufferfishrescue.org
PufferCorps PufferCorps
"I don't purchase a single thing fish related from wally world and everyone that engages in conversation with me regarding fish I always tell them why they too should never purchase anything fish related from them either."

If you buy Marineland, Tetra, API, Aqueon you are feeding the company's who created the monster. They are no longer independent, but are subsidiaries of Global Pet, the pet supply division of Spectrum Brands. Since they sold out to Spectrum long ago, they are name brands in name only. The original company's founders may or may not care for their name to be affiliated with Walmart's "wet" stores, or their inclusion in the production of Aqua Culture.
I do know for a fact, in the case of one of the company's, there are individuals who feel greatly responsible for their part in the "wet mess" and are taking an active role to reverse the problem. It takes courage and integrity to risk their lively hood to try to do the right thing for the fish, for who they had once created equipment meant to keep them alive and healthy. None of these company's are faceless inhuman monsters. Even Walmart has been responsive to this concern and stopped delivery. All it takes to make change is the desire to pursue it. Stick with it and you will meet the right people.

I don't mean to be rude, but
If there is no hope for you to ever feel such empowerment, please step aside. I'm sorry for you, that seeing hopeful passion in others makes you want to ridicule and crush it out, or worse, makes you laugh at their "folly" and wish for their defeat.
It isn't healthy and it may be time for some serious introspection and possibly medical intervention.
With that, I'm afraid I must pardon myself from this conversation. I have a mission to attend to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store