55" aimara?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Anyone know the validity of this claim? A 55" aimara is huge, seems to lack info though, not sure where people get max recorded lengths etc. I've went on several websites and they all have different claims. I'm curious as to what the truth it's, how big do aimara have the potential to get? 3' im sure of but 4'+ I've yet to see believable pictures of that...
http://www.fishing-worldrecords.com/scientificname/Hoplias aimara/show

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Not sure about 55in but some pics on google look like they could be 4ft. The one on river monsters that Jeremy Wade caught was huge.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I think it's plausible. It's only 10 inches more than the one that's confirmed. It must be a very old wolf.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I do not know.
I also don't see a practical difference for our hobby when it comes to housing such a beast...?!

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I think it's plausible. It's only 10 inches more than the one that's confirmed. It must be a very old wolf.
What was the confirmed caught one in terms of size? And is the info valid? Or trusted.

I do not know.
I also don't see a practical difference for our hobby when it comes to housing such a beast...?!
No ones grown one past 2' from small AFAIK anything larger has been caught but even so the largest was a 40lb fish which is half of the 88lb fish claimed... I'm just curious. Should we expect potential for such a monster when planning to keep for life or is it false info..

Not sure about 55in but some pics on google look like they could be 4ft. The one on river monsters that Jeremy Wade caught was huge.
That was a big aimara but it wasn't more than 40" i don't think.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
What was the confirmed caught one in terms of size? And is the info valid? Or trusted.

No ones grown one past 2' from small AFAIK anything larger has been caught but even so the largest was a 40lb fish which is half of the 88lb fish claimed... I'm just curious. Should we expect potential for such a monster when planning to keep for life or is it false info..

That was a big aimara but it wasn't more than 40" i don't think.
I was under the impression that in Asia 3ft Aimara isn't that rare and that folks have grown them beyond the 24in mark. I hope so as I was hoping to grow mine to 30in :)

My guess is most people don't keep them long enough or give them adequate space to grow them large.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I was under the impression that in Asia 3ft Aimara isn't that rare and that folks have grown them beyond the 24in mark. I hope so as I was hoping to grow mine to 30in :)

My guess is most people don't keep them long enough or give them adequate space to grow them large.
I agree with your guess, I feel they are one of the species that have the potential to live long long lives. And I didn't hear of any being grown from a small size to 3'.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
That is a little disappointing. I was hoping to end up with a 30-36in beast on my hands :)

Quason778

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2014
Washington, DC
That is a little disappointing. I was hoping to end up with a 30-36in beast on my hands :)
Hey N nzafi don't be dissapointed. Just look at it this way, you can be amongst the first to attempt it, lol.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
I'll comment on this from china end. The biggest known aimara in the hobby here that I personally know is just about 1meter long and as thick as a medium sized English bulldog. That being said I think it was grown from an large specimen that was imported at about two feet already. There are lots of aimaras including the elusive rio tapajos here that are around 2 to 2.5 feet. They start growing pretty slowly at this point. I picked up my aimara when it was around 13" and now I which I haven't measured out of water but eye balling close to 16-17". This took about ten months time but she's housed in a temporary tank that's way too narrow along with a fierce dorado which is definitely affecting growth. As long as the aimara is feeding aggressively which I've seen yours to be, it will grow steady slowly but surely. If you give a big enough footprint to a solo aimara, with lots of WC and quality feeding, it will continue to grow. Length starts to taper as girth will accelerate. It will start looking like a foot ball once past 20" or so. Be patient with your little monster. :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: moe214 and Chub_by
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store