Breidohri

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
I have a 3" Breidohri, my first time owning this cichlid, can anyone who have or had them, tell me what to expect? I have seen pictures of videos of them, although they vary... There are some pictures that have so much color in them, is this real or is that just the picture? While watching video, the color don't even come close to some of the pictures that I have seen, hmmm...

Are they generally outgoing or shy? Can they hold there own with other cichlid there size, although I have no other cichlid in the tank that will reach there size, I am just curious... I have him in a 360 gallon tank with a Salvini, two red Jewels, 3 Neetroplus Nematopus, and two Convicts. I am using him for my center piece. I am hoping he gets close to some of the pictures that I have seen in color.

Can someone tell me what they like or dislike in this cichlid?

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
I have a 3" Breidohri, my first time owning this cichlid, can anyone who have or had them, tell me what to expect? I have seen pictures of videos of them, although they vary... There are some pictures that have so much color in them, is this real or is that just the picture? While watching video, the color don't even come close to some of the pictures that I have seen, hmmm...

Are they generally outgoing or shy? Can they hold there own with other cichlid there size, although I have no other cichlid in the tank that will reach there size, I am just curious... I have him in a 360 gallon tank with a Salvini, two red Jewels, 3 Neetroplus Nematopus, and two Convicts. I am using him for my center piece. I am hoping he gets close to some of the pictures that I have seen in color.

Can someone tell me what they like or dislike in this cichlid?
The colors are real. Great species.

image.jpeg

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
Wow!! I hope mines look like that pair is gorgeous, especially that male What can I expect from him?

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Wow!! I hope mines look like that pair is gorgeous, especially that male What can I expect from him?
Typical unpredictable CA cichlid. Mine killed seven of his sibling with the exception of the mate. Never had an issue with aggression. I don't know if he will get along with the other fish that's always a crap shoot. Sounds like the tank is large enough. Good luck.

Reactions: Toiletcar

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Yea, the color is real. I had one that died of Columnaris at about 2 years old. If you get a male, you can expect some drab grayish-purple color until he gets to be about 6-8 inches. Then they get bright pink, reds, dorsal fins start to get psychedelic looking. Mine never got the hint of blue that Mo's have, mine had purple hues--but mine didn't get as old as Mo's, either.

Males are pretty territorial, flare up a lot at other fish. I'd say they are perfect in a really big tank with other Vieja. They act a lot like Synspilum/Melanurus. The females are very peaceful. There's a big difference in size between males and females. Females have the same coloration, just not as pink and vivid. I had a second one that was much smaller, never grew much past 6 inches, don't know if it was male or female.

Mine was in a community, he liked to fight, liked to eat. Like most Vieja, he wouldn't tolerate any plants in the tank. He was the top fish in the tank for sure. I had a Jag for a little while, and that was a daily contest of will between them. Mostly flaring, but they'd lock up every few days--so they can hold their own.

A good male will get 10-12 inches for sure, maybe a little more--and thick. Females I guess are 6-10 inches?

Here's some video .... at 15 seconds

Throughout this video ....

He's in videos on my youtube channel until June or July of 2015.

I still tip my 40 to that fish every now and then. :) He was cool.

Reactions: Toiletcar

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree colors are real, the more mature the more color,I kept mine in a cichlid community and they worked well for a while until 2 paired off.
a young male

below, a young female

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
How can you tell male from female, beside their size, mines is about 3", but I not sure if it is a male or female. I now the dorsal fin should have a black mark, mines I see a little black mark but not much, I have to look really hard sometimes I can see what I think is a black mark and then other times I see no black mark, hmm...

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
wait until it's about 6-8 inches, and you'll know if it's a male or not. Males have a very different shaped head than the females. They get bigger. they act like males in a tank with other fish. With Breidohri, you want to keep buying them until you get a good male. The males are the fun ones.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
How can you tell male from female, beside their size, mines is about 3", but I not sure if it is a male or female. I now the dorsal fin should have a black mark, mines I see a little black mark but not much, I have to look really hard sometimes I can see what I think is a black mark and then other times I see no black mark, hmm...

Even at a small size it should be apparent. In particular, the body shape of the male is much blockier and they will exhibit colors you won't see on the juvenile female. The female is more torpedo shaped and less colorful. Here's the pair above at 2-3".

Male

DSC_0005b.jpg

Female

DSC_0017b.jpg

Pair

DSC_5456b.jpg

DSC_5642b.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My females always showed a dark notch of color in the dorsal fin (common in many Central American species). The males don't, very apparent in my first tow photos above. And just as Mo pointed out, an overall different color appearance, and bulkier size of the males.

Reactions: keystonewma
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store