How many wc per week/2weeks?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
An arowana needs a big tank as an adult also.

Geraldaw

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2016
Singapore
^ Geraldaw Geraldaw i think i see your problem...

The tank is really small, and your filtration is possibly in-sufficient, adding to that a lack of water changes and im guessing it maybe due to bad water quality.that killed your aro...

Can i ask how old the Aro was that died, and the size of it?
8 inch. around 1 year

Geraldaw

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2016
Singapore
So guys what do i need to do? i most probably wont change the tank. Just want to know how much should i wc per 2 weeks? or refill the water from a pail is good enough?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Then i would say it died most likely due to stunting from tank size + water quality...

Even the smallest arowana need tanks about 6' x 3 x 2' tall since most if not all will grow no less than about 2' - 2.5' and can live up past 50 years...

So having good filtration, decent size tank and at least 40% water changes a week would be recommended to keep a healthy aro...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
So guys what do i need to do? i most probably wont change the tank. Just want to know how much should i wc per 2 weeks? or refill the water from a pail is good enough?
To be very honest, and please dont take this the wrong way, but i would return the new Aro and find a fish more suitable for a 20G tank...

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
You need to take the advice these nice people have given you, because the way you're thinking right now will not end well for you or the fish.

1. Change AT LEAST 40% of the tank water weekly.

2. Use a good dechlorinator. If you are changing water with a bucket, add the dechlorinator to the bucket before pouring it into the tank.

3. Make sure the water in the bucket is a similar temperature to the water in the tank.

4. Plan to upgrade your tank ASAP, the aro will out grow the tank you have now.

5. Listen to any other advice given to you by these guys, they are very smart people with a lot of years of experience between them.

I've written this as simply as I can, and if you do these 5 simple things and you will keep your fish happy and healthy for years to come. :)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'll be the not nice guy here since you guys are so jovial.

You need a bigger tank. Period. Don't buy anything other like like 5-7 tetra for that tank, its not suitable otherwise.

You have what I assume is a pleco and an aro in a 3x1x1....2 of the higher waste producing fish, your fish died because your water quality sucks. You need to take the advice of the others that have given you minimum tank requirements for an aro.

Return your aro if you have another one. Aros are massive fish. You aren't ready to keep one by any means.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
you absolutely WILL change the tank if you plan to keep an aro alive for more than a month. Get rid of the aro if you are going to be stubborn about it.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
8 inch. around 1 year
This seem like a low growth rate for the Aro, it is 1 inch per month usual rate, till it reaches its max length possible. Was it eating properly and active?

Its difficult to imagine water change can kill a fish, on the opposite water change is required to keep a fish alive in a home aquarium.

What would have killed this fish, need to be something else, provided the latest water from your tap doesn't have high amount of ammonia / chlorine or variation to hardness or PH - meaning a sudden drastic change to earlier readings.

Water test kit is essential for regular upkeep of fish.

Reactions: Hendre

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Really? An aro in a 3 foot long tank? But still yet at 8 inches it shouldn't have died... Something else is up... I do waterchanges once a week of at least 50%. Sometimes I get busy and get into almost two weeks. Then I push for about 80%. Sometimes I do 80% water changes a week...

A water test kit isn't crucial if you know and have learnt what your doing. I have never had a water test kit. Period. It ain't rocket science.

Last edited:
Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store