Arowana Questions

Fraz

Feeder Fish
Aug 26, 2016
Hi Members

I am new to the MonsterFishKeepers site. I read a lot of your treads while setting up and getting my monster fish (black arowana and sting rays)

I set up a tank which has two "herbie" over flows. i have several questions and I hope i am putting them in the correct tread
1) the black arowana is 6 to 7 inches and he likes to stick to the over flow which throws off the "heribe" balance..any suggestions/thoughts on how to keep him from doing that

2) he is the most skittish fish i have ever had, even though he has been in the tank for 3 months. every other fish knows feeding time and will even eat from my hand but he just goes crazy when ever some one walks by the tank, darting around, trying to jump out of tank etc(i do have lid on tank)...any suggestions/thoughts to help him

3) he only eats floating food, what i mean is if you put pellets and they all float he will eat them but as soon as one sinks he will not touch the rest that are still floating so i have been giving him crickets since they all float...any suggestions/thoughts on other food that floats all the time.

any suggestions or thoughts are welcome.

Looking forward to being on this site and hopefully learning and contributing more.

Reactions: tlindsey

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi and welcome to aro keeping!
I found mine to be a little skittish at first. Some say to lower the water level which helps them to settle but I imagine you can't do that with your overflows if they are positioned high in the tank.
What lighting do you have? What tank mates?
I would suggest lower lighting levels and approach the tank carefully so he does not get startled and avoid any bright coloured clothing, especially white as this can scare the aro.
How big is he/she?
Good news is that its eating floating pellet. That can be hard to get them to take especially if you are offering live food as well. So you must have something going well for you!
Some aros just take longer to settle, especially when young and small.
Good luck and wheres the pictures lol !!?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I've had my Lei for 8 months, since 3" and what you described is fairly consistent to what I've experienced or read. With internal overflow box, our options to lower the water isn't much of an option.

In terms of drain, do you mean the overflow box is slowed and effecting the Herbie correct? Does the secondary drain on the Herbie no longer take the trickle? Assume both primary drains still keep full siphon? You should be ok.

Fraz

Feeder Fish
Aug 26, 2016
sorry about the delay...
Thanks for the suggestions. To answer some of your questions. He is 6 or 7 inches. I have 2 36" Finnex planted+ 24/7 lights and for tank mates: 2 moto stingrays, 1 King Kong puffer, 1 ghost Knife, 1 fire eel, and 1 knife that i don't know what kind he is.

I am uploading pics, the LPS said he is a blue platinum arowana, but since I can find that kind of arowana i am guessing he is a black arowana...if any one can confirm and let me know what the other knife fish is i would greatly appreciate it.IMG_20160830_085746346.jpg IMG_20160830_085946931_TOP.jpg IMG_20160905_174355466.jpg

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Looks like a regular silver to me.. The tail fin on blacks are usually smaller. And it doesn't have any dark coloring, it's still quite small, I'd think it'd be darker than that. And silvers can have oranges and blues and reds in the fins and even on the scales.

Reactions: tlindsey

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
Did you say your light are on 24/7? Good floating food for an aro is Hikari foodsticks when small and Hikari Jumbo Carnistick when large

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Nice aro, that is an ossa knife. Apparently they need frequent feeding of frozen or live food in a similar fashion to african knife fish.

You can feed shrimp on a kebab stick at the top of the water.

Good luck.

feeling2good

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 30, 2008
USA
that arowana is 200% a regular silver.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi Members

I am new to the MonsterFishKeepers site. I read a lot of your treads while setting up and getting my monster fish (black arowana and sting rays)

I set up a tank which has two "herbie" over flows. i have several questions and I hope i am putting them in the correct tread
1) the black arowana is 6 to 7 inches and he likes to stick to the over flow which throws off the "heribe" balance..any suggestions/thoughts on how to keep him from doing that

2) he is the most skittish fish i have ever had, even though he has been in the tank for 3 months. every other fish knows feeding time and will even eat from my hand but he just goes crazy when ever some one walks by the tank, darting around, trying to jump out of tank etc(i do have lid on tank)...any suggestions/thoughts to help him

3) he only eats floating food, what i mean is if you put pellets and they all float he will eat them but as soon as one sinks he will not touch the rest that are still floating so i have been giving him crickets since they all float...any suggestions/thoughts on other food that floats all the time.

any suggestions or thoughts are welcome.

Looking forward to being on this site and hopefully learning and contributing more.

Welcome to MFK :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store