Transferring tiger fish

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
Does anyone have any ideas about transferring tiger fish...? I'm going from a 110 to a 300 and I know they are gonna freak out.. I know about taking water out and what not .. do it in a dark room.. but is there anything else I might not have thought of?

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
i dont have a african tiger , but ... if i did i might try putting a large plastic bag in the tank . maybe put it in the tank all scrunched up , then unravel it in the tank . and kinda enflat it in the tank .
and get the fish to swim into it . use Styrofoam on the top of tank incase it jumps . i would get some one to help . also have a big plastic storage bin to put the bag in incase he bust a hole in the bag hope this helps

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
i dont have a african tiger , but ... if i did i might try putting a large plastic bag in the tank . maybe put it in the tank all scrunched up , then unravel it in the tank . and kinda enflat it in the tank . Thank you for your input.. I will definitely take that method into consideration.. they kinda freak out when I try to put a net in
and get the fish to swim into it . use Styrofoam on the top of tank incase it jumps . i would get some one to help . also have a big plastic storage bin to put the bag in incase he bust a hole in the bag hope this helps

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
Does anyone have any ideas about transferring tiger fish...? I'm going from a 110 to a 300 and I know they are gonna freak out.. I know about taking water out and what not .. do it in a dark room.. but is there anything else I might not have thought of?
I moved my 15" Vittatus from my 120 into my 270. Keep in mind, the tanks were next to each other.

1. Lowered water to 20%
2. Large plastic bag
3. Catch Vittatus n tie up bag

The net thing is such a bad idea if ur tiger is big. Tigers r strong n r jumpers. Plastic bag catching is the way to go, prevents injuries n jumping. Regular net catching is so 2012

Reactions: arowanaryan

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Never had a tiger fish but my large rhom was a pain to catch and would bite through nets. Best approach was lowering the water level a lot, and then placing a 5 gal bucket into the tank which I would chase him into. The trick is patience so you don't damage him.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I've had Jardinis burst through construction bags, no way in hell would I try it with a Tiger.

My Tigers have bitten right through rubber nets as well.

Guess it's "2012" here cause good ol fasioned cloth nets are how big Tigers, Wolves, Dorado, Armatus, and Odoe are all moved here.

I don't drip, I just flop them after making sure conductivity in each tank is close. Just moved a big Vittatus from upstairs to downstairs last night. Didn't even loose that many scales despite having room to run in the 300 I caught him out of. Didn't do anything with the water level cause lowering causes all my other fish to freak out.......

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
I've had Jardinis burst through construction bags, no way in hell would I try it with a Tiger.

Guess it's "2012" here cause good ol fasioned cloth nets are how big Tigers, Wolves, Dorado, Armatus, and Odoe are all moved here.

I don't drip, I just flop them after making sure conductivity in each tank is close. Just moved a big Vittatus from upstairs to downstairs last night. Didn't even loose that many scales despite having room to run in the 300 I caught him out of. Didn't do anything with the water level cause lowering causes all my other fish to freak out.......
All I know is that when I transferred my 12" arowana, 15" vittatus, 12" datnoids. 9" stingrays, the bag method worked perfectly. The old fashion nets r good, only issue is that with arowanas or tigers, u would need a second net or cover ur hands over the opening to prevent jumping out. I have no idea how ur jardini busted through a plastic bag. The big monster plastic bags from the LFS r so thick, I just dont know what to say about the jardini breaking through it.

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york

Thank you for this .. I've moved plenty of fish and always use the net method.. the 2 tanks water are almost exactly the same.. and are about 15 feet apart..the thing is I have 2 Tigers to move so I know I'm probably gonna take some damage to at least 1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store