Want to start a predator tank what's good mates

James420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
I have a 125 long tank setup with a gar Dempsey pike an a Bichir I'm getting rid of the pike but I'd like to get some other fish like peacock bass jaguars or something to go with them an I do have a 275 gallon for once the get bigger Any thoughts

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I'm planning on getting one or two more what's the best to feed them mine won't really eat feeder fish
Hoow big is the Jack Dempsey?

what kind of Gar and how big?

is it a REAL Pike or a Pike-Cichlid and how big?

and what kind of bichir and how big?

A good pellet food and some cut-up frozen Tilapia would be a good start for foods, try a pellet with 40%+ crude protein. Can't go wrong w/ shrimp and krill, freeze dried seems to be preferred, at least by my Jacks

James420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
Hoow big is the Jack Dempsey?

what kind of Gar and how big?

is it a REAL Pike or a Pike-Cichlid and how big?

and what kind of bichir and how big?

A good pellet food and some cut-up frozen Tilapia would be a good start for foods, try a pellet with 40%+ crude protein. Can't go wrong w/ shrimp and krill, freeze dried seems to be preferred, at least by my Jacks
The Dempsey is about 5" the pike cichlid is about the same I have a normal Bichir about 9" an the gar I'm not sure a spotted or alligator but he's about 8" to

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
The Dempsey is about 5" the pike cichlid is about the same I have a normal Bichir about 9" an the gar I'm not sure a spotted or alligator but he's about 8" to
some pix would help and the species of Pike cichlid is important - some grow 6" and are peaceful, some grow 18"+ and are savage killers.

If this "normal" bichir is a senegalensis, it would be unwise to keep it with the Pike and gar or may become a meal, and a smaller species of Pike will become a meal for the Gar, as well as the Jack depending on what species of Gar

James420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
some pix would help and the species of Pike cichlid is important - some grow 6" and are peaceful, some grow 18"+ and are savage killers.

If this "normal" bichir is a senegalensis, it would be unwise to keep it with the Pike and gar or may become a meal, and a smaller species of Pike will become a meal for the Gar, as well as the Jack depending on what species of Gar
I can get some pictures in the morning yea that's the kind of Bichir it is they've all been good together so far been together about 7 months the only one I've had problems with is the Dempsey he picks on the pike

PJ1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2016
CT
I'm planning on getting one or two more what's the best to feed them mine won't really eat feeder fish
Mine are 8" and 14" they both absolutely love worms I just drop a couple in the tank and they hunt them down. Very fun to watch them eat too

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Pike cichlids pick on most things, I have a 11 inch atabapo red smacking my 14 inch Fahaka around. It's going to be hard to add tank mates as you have juveniles already claiming territory so you will need to add adult or junvies to avoid them being am expensive meal. If you already have a jack and a pike try going non-cichlid with Cats or wolf fish maybe.

James420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
Pike cichlids pick on most things, I have a 11 inch atabapo red smacking my 14 inch Fahaka around. It's going to be hard to add tank mates as you have juveniles already claiming territory so you will need to add adult or junvies to avoid them being am expensive meal. If you already have a jack and a pike try going non-cichlid with Cats or wolf fish maybe.
you think I could put a wolf fish in the tank there's one for sale buy me for 60 bucks was thinking about it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store