Help - Sick? Black ghost knife

Fadedlilac

Feeder Fish
Aug 26, 2016
Okay so Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping you can help me. About 7 years ago now back when I got my first Job I saved up and bought a fish tank, it's 240L and about 1.5m long. Among the fish I first bought was a Black ghost knife, I love him (actual gender unknown) dearly, but in all honestly I've lost interest in fish over the years as life and education got in the way. My knife has always been fine though. (Yes I'm a terrible fish owner, but I'd like to do better)

Anyway a few months (I think... I've had a lot going on) the tank filter broke, I put a water bubbler in, but there wasn't much else I could do. The tank never clouded up, I've got a bristle nose catfish in there, along with some snails, (they came with plants and are neigh on impossible to get rid of) So I'm assuming they are mostly keeping the tank clean from agley and such.

Anyway recently, (maybe a few weeks now) my knife has stopped hiding inside his shipwreck he likes and spends most of his time floating around the tank. He swims/floats with his head near the surface, moves way slower than he used to, and spends most of his time hugging one of the two heaters, there's one at either end of the tank.

My dad and I have set up his old tank, (it's a little smaller) around 150L and only 0.9m long, it's clean and filled with fresh water, (we're lucky enough to be on rain water) But as it turns out the seals on the pump for it are broken, my dad's bought some replacement parts so hopefully we can fix the pump.

My question is, what should I be doing, what can I do? I know I don't do enough for my fish, but I'd hate to loose my knife when there was something I could do.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That sucks. First do you have test kits? We need to know water parameters are and pictures will help the forum doctors in aiding you :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store