Delhezi Bichir Really Agressive Towards TSN HELP!

Glfish88

Feeder Fish
Aug 25, 2016
So I recently bought a Tiger Shovel Nose Catfish from my LFS (he's around 6 inches) and I put him in my 500 with some silver aros and 2 bichirs (both 4 inches), it was all good for the first week then I started to notice that my TSN's fins and barbels started to rip and tear so I put in some Melafix cause I thought it was finrot. The night after I walk in to the basement (where my tank is) looking for my phone and I see one bichir biting feraciously on my TSN's dorsal fin and the other on it's tail. I seperated them but I don't understand why this happens when the bichirs are smaller than it and is it ok to reintroduce him maybe when he is a little bigger cause I the TSN won't last very long in my 40 Quarintine tank.THX

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
So I recently bought a Tiger Shovel Nose Catfish from my LFS (he's around 6 inches) and I put him in my 500 with some silver aros and 2 bichirs (both 4 inches), it was all good for the first week then I started to notice that my TSN's fins and barbels started to rip and tear so I put in some Melafix cause I thought it was finrot. The night after I walk in to the basement (where my tank is) looking for my phone and I see one bichir biting feraciously on my TSN's dorsal fin and the other on it's tail. I seperated them but I don't understand why this happens when the bichirs are smaller than it and is it ok to reintroduce him maybe when he is a little bigger cause I the TSN won't last very long in my 40 Quarintine tank.THX
The TSN will eventually EAT the bichirs.....

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Damn

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
From the freshwater disease section:

Melafix
Active ingredients: 1% melaluca oil
Diseases: wounds and tattered fins, bruises
Contraindications:
There were some situations where Melafix itself proved fatal on some fish species such as bettas as it was alleged that the oil can clog gills and therefore obstruct breathing. Not to be used with labyrinth fish or oxygen-challenged specimens.

Compatible with Pimafix and anything else

I know that there is more on this "medicine" on here somewhere. I just have to find it.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
G Glfish88 , I've had a couple of very aggressive bichirs in the past, and I was never able to completely sort it out. I had an adult Senegal that would chew on an adult delhezi all the time. I ended up having to sell the Senegal. Not saying that you're doomed or anything, that was just my experience. I would try to swap the TSN and the bichir. Put the bichir in the QT tank and the TSN in the main tank until he's all healed up, then reintroduce the bichir.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
From the freshwater disease section:

Melafix
Active ingredients: 1% melaluca oil
Diseases: wounds and tattered fins, bruises
Contraindications:
There were some situations where Melafix itself proved fatal on some fish species such as bettas as it was alleged that the oil can clog gills and therefore obstruct breathing. Not to be used with labyrinth fish or oxygen-challenged specimens.

Compatible with Pimafix and anything else

I know that there is more on this "medicine" on here somewhere. I just have to find it.
I have a feeling those were Betta BOWLS that didn't have proper filtration, I have had it serve it's purpose when I have used it in the past, so I can't bad-mouth it, TBH but if you have had poor results, I don't expect you to use it again, I wouldn't.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
First off treating 500 gallons with either mela or pima is a lot of $ lol....

Are these guys really in a 500?

fish that are 4-6 inches should be in a grow out tank first.....make it easier to feed and dose when sick or injured

That TSN will eat those bichirs in a about a week anyways so problem solved haha

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
First off treating 500 gallons with either mela or pima is a lot of $ lol....

Are these guys really in a 500?

fish that are 4-6 inches should be in a grow out tank first.....make it easier to feed and dose when sick or injured

That TSN will eat those bichirs in a about a week anyways so problem solved haha
lol and I thought you Tusken Raiders were just mindless beasts ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store