Nano tank idea

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
So I was thinking about pulling out the old 1 gallon tank and having a few live plants and shrimp and maybe a tetra or 2 in there just for something on my dresser. Would a 1 gallon be doable or maybe just get a newer 5 gallon? Also what kind of filtration even goes on a nano tank? And is there any special maintenance required for live plants?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
So I was thinking about pulling out the old 1 gallon tank and having a few live plants and shrimp and maybe a tetra or 2 in there just for something on my dresser. Would a 1 gallon be doable or maybe just get a newer 5 gallon? Also what kind of filtration even goes on a nano tank? And is there any special maintenance required for live plants?
You could do a 1 gallon, just have to be on the ball with water parameters :) for live plants an active substrate that buffers helps a lot, but if you go for plants such as Anubias, you don't have to worry about it.

HOB's are the best for small nano's imo, though it's difficult to stabilise anything under the 15 litre mark in my experience, hence only low bioload shrimp etc

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I would say unless you plan on doing something like shrimp only, skip the 1G and go for a 5 - 10G... It will give you more options and possibly less headaches dealing with keeping water stabilized...

Reactions: magpie

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Get at least ten gallons as anything smaller is a pain personally I don't like anything smaller than 20 gallons because it's easier to clean and keep stable

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I am thinking about the same thing (all I have is a recently set up 55 planted, diy co2 and 1 female guppy), to get around not being allowed to have more tanks in the house. Google at Diana Walstad, she is awesome and has been doing a lot of this. It seems if you are careful 1g is plenty for shrimp and 5-12 plenty for small fish (harlequin rasbora, etc), even if you don't have an airstone, forget about a filter. I know this sounds nuts after so many people screaming BIGGER for so long, but pico and nano setups are really good with minimal maintenance ( as long as it is appropriate and regular) in both fresh and saltwater. Google planted vase and look for the same on Youtube. People are getting unbelievable bioload, stability and self sufficiency out of tiny setups.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Btw I've got a 5.5 litre tank (1.5g) arriving in a couple of days, will post info on it when I can

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I've done 2.5, 5 and 10 and I really prefer the 5 and even more so, the 10. The 2.5 and 5 really limit what you can put in it - pretty much shrimp and betta only (and depending on the betta, not necessarily both). Once you go to 10 you can add microrasboras and make it a nice little microcosm. I adore my 2.5 and 5 gallon tanks but my 10 is my favorite nano. (And it is easier to keep stable, even planted.)

A 1 gallon would be interesting, but it is so small! You are really limited in even the plants that you can put in there.

That being said, I'd LOVE to see yours :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store