The right way to add anti-chlorine ?

clekchau

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
tx
www.clekchau.com
bottom line, don't follow the directions and dose only the water you are changing, if your fish don't die you are good otherwise you know you have to dose the total system volume next time :D

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
They might not die but their gills could get burned and that might be irreparable damage. Something like an ich outbreak could also occur.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
That is not correct. It seems even Hagen agrees to dose based on the full aquarium volume and not just what is being replaced when performing a water change directly in tank.

An email I sent them and the reply from Hagen.

( bsp.brentsmithphotography@gmail.com 12/22/2011

I know you have directions for dosage when treating new water first before introduction to an aquarium on your labels but I was wondering if I should dose on the complete aquarium volume with your product when I perform an in tank water change. Say a 100 gallon tank with weekly water changes of 50%.

Brent Smith

Reply:

no-reply@hagencrm.com

Tanya Schwab (Hagen Customer Service Rep) 12/23/2011

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Correct. The dosing instructions for water changes consider the total gallon size of your aquarium - not the amount of water changed.

Regards,
Customer Service
Rolf C. Hagen Inc. )
maybe so but they have yet to change the directions on my bottle :)

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
Adding chlorinated (or chloraminated) water directly to your tank gives the free chlorine a chance to react with your fishes' gills before being neutralized by the dechlorinator. It's not an instant reaction so the greater the concentration of dechlorinator, the faster it's dechlorinated. It might be more work to mix the tap water and dechlorinator ahead of time outside the tank but this is not a hobby for the lazy.
not really, because if you add dechlor to the old tank water prior, when you add the new water the neutralization is virtually instantaneous as it mixes almost instantly. adding water with a python here is even better as the dechlor is in excess as you slowly add the new water etc.

even if it weren't virtually instantaneous, the contact time is not long enough to do damage.

chlorine is a great disinfectant, but it takes time to work.

for example, in Ontario, the standard contact time for chlorine at the water treatment plant is 20 mins (mainly worried about E. Coli and crypto/giardia kill here though).

this is also why it is safe to rinse filter media quickly under the tap with no ill effects. letting it soak for a while is another story :)

obviously, the higher the concentration the less the contact time required.

however, in tap water, free chlorine concentrations are quite low. usually on the order of 0.05 mg/L free chlorine residual.

but its enough to keep our tap water safe from contamination in the distribution system (the pipes from the plant to your house)

anyway folks, its been a great discussion, but Im off on holiday for christmas

happy holidays everyone!

Red_Belly_Pacu

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Earth
To be safe about it, I always follow the instructions on the prime bottle. When I use prime, I actually dose more in what the label says. It is better to be safe than sorry. Nothing might not happen to the fishes when you under dose with prime but it is probably the immune system that is helping the fishes stay alive.

y26tan18

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Singapore
this is also why it is safe to rinse filter media quickly under the tap with no ill effects. letting it soak for a while is another story :)
this is interesting, its a little off topic, but you're saying its okay to do a quick rinse and squeeze using tap water, and that wouldn't affect the good bacteria on it ?
How long exactly does chlorine, chlorimaine take to react with the environment around them ?
From what I've understand from reading most 'guides' is that the only good way is to use, the tank water to do the rinsing...

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Doesn't matter. I did all of the methods before with no fish dying. IMO, you only need to dose the amount of dechlorinator required for the amount of water you change and not the entire tank volume unless you are filling the tank for the first time. My reason is that the water in your fish tank should not have any chlorine in it at all, so any chlorine introduced would be coming from the water you are adding into the aquarium during water changes.

If you are doing small water changes such as 20-30%, it would be ok to add just enough dechlorinator for the amount you are changing. If you do large water changes > 70% which is not really recommended for reasons which have been discussed in other threads, then I would recommend adding dechlorinator for the entire tank volume.

Geraldaw

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2016
Singapore
I usually use method 1 . Once I drain the water from the tank (say 40%), then I add the enough prime (anti chlorine chemical) for the whole tank, wait 15 minutes, then add the new water with the hose straight from the outside faucet. Never had an issue in all my 30+ years of fish keeping..
Really? Which brand is better? OF New water guard vs api vs prime?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store