Can PACU's co-exist with OSCARS?

Adema

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
USA, Iowa
Hope you have a big tank on they way because 4 Pacus alone are going to need in the 1000+ gallon range that min. I would say. They are very fast powerful fish.

Reactions: convict360

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
Pacus grow quickly too. ;)

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Yea pacu get 3' and phat 1000g tank is a starting point cause theyre a schooling fish

Fuzzy 85

Feeder Fish
Aug 27, 2016
I realize this is an old thread, my apologies it just seemed like a good place to put this question since slot has already been answered here.

I have 2 RB Pacus 12" & 10" currently residing in a 55gallon tank they've clearly outgrown. I've recently acquired a 150gallon tank to move them to with a fluval fx5 canister filter and all other obvious accessories. I am aware they will outgrow this tank also before long and intend to construct an indoor pond in my basement as a nice addition to my man cave.

My question is can the pacus get along with a 9" Oscar and the two 10" plecos that "came with the 150gallon tank " while I'm sure the plecos will be fine and I really have no emotional attachment to the Oscar (although he's a beautiful Oscar) the larger pacu is clearly a dominant fish constantly fighting with the smaller one unprovoked. It gets under my skin actually as the other one minds his own business and doesn't fight back when the larger one swims up and constantly nips him in the fish armpit.

Anyone have any experiences they could share?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
You'll be fine though he may nip at the Oscar as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store