Active Predators for a 120 gallon Aquarium

The Bass Hole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2011
Long Island, NY
sabertooth tetras aka payara aka sabertooth barracuda aka vampire characin (other names as well) get to big for a 120. arowana too big, barracuda too big, snakehead are illegal. oscars would work though

The True Guapote

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
Limited Resources;5050752; said:
Some species that I am interested in are: freshwater barracuda, wolf fish, arowana, sabertooth tetra, snakehead, oscar, other more active species of piranha, or any other active predator.
Any Suggestions?
barracuda-never kept but I understand they're active
wolffish (hoplias)-sit on the bottom mainly, they're more ambush predators unless you get an aimira (about $1,000)
arowana-active but grow very large (3 feet plus)
sabertooth tetra-never kept
snakehead-illegal, but if you can find them they're great, most species are going to outgrow your tank unless you can find channa gachua, the dwarf snakehead
oscar-dog-like personality, grow large, bottomless pit
piranha-I've only kept RBP's

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
What about gar? I believe the Florida gar stays small there are several other gar species that could work

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
They get typically 18-24 in average in home aqauriums.

Can get bigger if housed and care for properly. Minimum of 180-200g or bigger is needed.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Better choice.

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
I have two Oscars in a 150g and they are quite active. They get really excited every time they see me walk by their tank. They are indeed bottomless pits as they will never pass up on food and will continue to chase it down even though all they do is blow it out of their gills. So, just have to watch them during feeding time.
Green sunfish are pretty active and will chase down live food (Crickets, worms, bugs, etc..).
You can get natives fairly easily and small at reasonable prices. Zimmerman's fish, Jonah's Aquarium and Aquabid are a few of the ones that are available.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Mod should close/remove or archive threads that 3+ years old :p
We're still seeing folks come here and asking same question over and over without using the search tool so no point to keeping really old threads.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Mod should close/remove or archive threads that 3+ years old :p
We're still seeing folks come here and asking same question over and over without using the search tool so no point to keeping really old threads.
I'd think that would be kind of hard to do though. They would be closeting threads all the time because of quickly the boards moves sometimes.
I was just kidding anyways. I think it's kind of funny.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store