Hairy puffer

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Hello, well i had my eye on this little devil in my lfs for nearly 2 years (he came in the same shipment as my Fahaka) and I assumed he would be gone.... But i was back in there after a few months absent and the poor little guy was still there in his tiny box. Well long story short i bought him as he was reduced to £30! The shop is holding him for me til end of next week so i can get my 100 litre set up. It has a large external filter (recommended for 200 litre+) but I also have a 450 litre+ spare. Now I know this may sound like overkill but is it worth hooking up the 450? I can use a spreader bar so the water isn't to powerful...would this be okay? Also any other tips on tetradon Baileyi would be well received. I gave kept them before a Long while ago but any Intel is good. Thanks

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Since this is MFK, i guess there is no such thing as over-kill for filtration, given current / flow doesnt effect the fish... So i say try out the 450 with spray bar...

As for the puffer, i know you know your stuff about them, and really same as always... Wont eat snails / semi lurker species / eats meaty food / no real need to worry about overgrown beak etc...

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Cool thanks for that Homer, the situation has changed in that the misses has amazingly authorized me to set up my 5ft 80g in the front room for him! To put this in context we will now have 12ft of tank and roughly 300g of water in our living room lol. So I am going to be setting up Hairy puffer heaven tonight....i am tempted to try and bred them lol

Reactions: Fat Homer

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Those things look super cool. Keep us updated

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Cool thanks for that Homer, the situation has changed in that the misses has amazingly authorized me to set up my 5ft 80g in the front room for him! To put this in context we will now have 12ft of tank and roughly 300g of water in our living room lol. So I am going to be setting up Hairy puffer heaven tonight....i am tempted to try and bred them lol
Thats amazing!!! My only concern would be how active your puffer is??? I've heard some people say their hairy puffers were super active, while others have said theirs were super sedatary...

So hopefully yours is an active guy so the misses doesnt regret her decision to let you setup the 5' tank ;)

Reactions: Hendre

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Well sorry for the delay I managed to smash my phone so no updates till now. So I got him and he is settled in to the rocky set up 80g. He is not massively active and I put in a few African cichlids to give the tank a little movement... I know probably just expensive food but we'll see. He was living in the shop with a spiny eel... So guess it's worth a go. I am saying 'he' as previously established that the 'hairier' ones are the males.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I love it! How big is he? what are you feeding him?

I love how clean and trim the tank is!

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Thanks, the tank is styled rather minimalist because I bought a new BMW this month and I had NO budget at all! Basically all the decor came from left over bits from my old Baileyi tank and my garden lol.
He is about 4.5-5 inches so nearing his max size and appears to be quite oblivious to his tank mates... At the moment. He is eating shell on mussels at the minute as that's what he was eating in the shop. I am hoping to diversify his diet in a few weeks.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
I have a fahaka as well and yep they are totally different types of predators. My hairy puffer 'Frankenstein' is so hideously ugly I find him gorgeous and he is quite active for a rock.. He is currently buzzing up and down the glass trying to fight is own reflection.

Reactions: Empyreal
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store