What are you guys feeding cichlids that need veggies?

Skinned

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Pellets are my staple. I feed them a lot of chopped frozen spinach from the frozen isle in the grocery store too.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
many of the pellets and sinking food specified as pleco/catfish work great for the veggie needs my sevs,chocolates, and geos

Skinned

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Pellets are my staple. I feed them a lot of chopped frozen spinach from the frozen isle in the grocery store too.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I feed mine cooked broccoli, shelled peas, baby leaf spinach, and spirulina flakes.
They seem to enjoy the broccoli the most.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I've kept a lot of severums over a lot of years-- they like veggies, but with a good staple pellet they hardly need them.

Also:
1) You can overdo veggies to the point they don't get a good balance of nutrients, including sufficient protein. In fact, you can inadvertently create a bad combination of plant based products for fish-- link.
2) Don't treat them like goldfish or algae eaters. They don't need algae wafers or veggie pellets. Including some good quality algae or veggie foods is ok, but check the ingredients, there are a lot of products out there labeled as 'algae' or 'veggie' foods with an abundance of grains, starches, and other cheap ingredients, and they won't bring out the best in them.

NLS isn't the only food I like or use, but ime severums like it and look good on it, including NLS Thera-A.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
...And if you're asking yourself why so many people say they need a lot of veggies in their diet, or why they recommend feeding them algae wafers, etc, then also ask yourself why a lot of people think severums are slow growers.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
One thing no body has mentioned is feeding frequency, most carnivores fish have a large stomach and short intestine so they can take a large amount of food in one go, most herbivores have a small stomach and long intestine so they need smaller more frequent meals. So feeding a adult Parachromis once every other day maybe a good feeding strategy trying to do the same to a fish that has evolved as a grazer you may find that it cannot digest the amount of food it needs in one sitting.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I will add I have found very little information on the digestive system of different sa/ca cichlids species so how much difference there is between species I don't know but I do feed grazing cichlids small frequent meals.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
so would you say Vieja are grazing cichlids? What are grazing cichlids?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store