Anybody use a chiller?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
It's all depend on your area/room temperature, the bigger one will get your tank temp down faster and able to maintain that set temp. Anyway, $250 for 1/2 hp chiller is really cheap for a new one, if used one then make sure it still work and accept return after a week in case it's broken.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
How big is the tank? And what temp you planning on keeping the water???

I run Hailea 3/4 HP chiller on my 50G shirmp tank to keep temps 23'C (ambient room temp can reach up to 29'C)

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
Circular tank will be 150 gallons. Air temp in the basement is 64 F in winter ( 17.8 Celcius), and I've noticed if I don't heat the water in my basement tanks they will drop to 62 F. (16.7 Celcius). I need the water to be in the low 50's F. (10 to 12 Celcius) for trout egg hatching, however once the trout get to be fingerlings they can handle water in the upper 50's F. (13 to 15 Celcius), and perhaps even 62 F. (16.7 celcius). I know my adult trout in the flow through pond outside have no issue with 60 to 62. F (15 to 17 Celcius) water in the summer.

I will be pumping in well water, which comes out of the ground at 51.6 F. (11 Celcius) , although it probably warms a few degrees in the storage tanks in the basement.

I can keep the water cool enough with the well water alone, but the use of a chiller and biofilter should reduce the amount of flow needed. At least that is my thinking.

I can easily monitor ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates to determine optimum flow etc.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Hmmm... Based on the size of your tank it seems you probably want around 1HP (i would guess)... Question is do these chillers go down to those temps, since i never checked how low mine can go temp wise...

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
Wow 1 hp seems quite big for a ten degree drop! According to the flow and tank size specs I've read even if I oversize to the next biggest size I'm looked at 1/3 hp or 1/2 hp.

As far as if they go down that far, yes they do, but you have a unit that that is set up that way. I've seen where they can drop water temps to 39 F. (4 C.)

Thank you for your feedback.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Actually, thats a good call on HP, i was just thinking based on the tank size and amount of water you would need to chill... But you are right, a 1/2 HP should do the trick given it can goto those temps...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Price doesnt seem to bad, and looks quite solid... Not to mention, if on the off chance anything does happen to it, will be easier to get fixed locally as well being made in the US?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store