Catfish suggestions

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi all

I want a catfish but not sure on which one so looking to you guys and gals for advice.

My tank and occupants..........
9x4x2 all glass with 6x3x2 sump around 600 UK gallon and plenty of filtration and aeration.
Current stock........
8 stingrays ranging from 7" to around 22" at a guess
1 Asian aro at around 14"
1 Ornate Bichir at around 14"
3 large clown loach
8 wide bar SD
6 BIG tinfoil
2 spotted gar both around 18"

I want a cat that will get no bigger than say 12" to 16" I guess. Must be active. I don't want something that just wants to hide as there are no hiding spots. I don't want some huge monster.

Not sure on Tigs? Never seen one in the flesh and not sure if they get too big?

Any suggestions??

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
A tig gets upwards of 2'. For medium sized cats, and activity, you probably gonna want a group. Maybe ornate pims. Not sure how sun cats act in a group, mine is solo and always out. Don't think blochiis are any more active in a group. Not sure on a bolt cats activity. Vulture cats would possibly fit the bill but get more like 20".

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
A tig gets upwards of 2'. For medium sized cats, and activity, you probably gonna want a group. Maybe ornate pims. Not sure how sun cats act in a group, mine is solo and always out. Don't think blochiis are any more active in a group. Not sure on a bolt cats activity. Vulture cats would possibly fit the bill but get more like 20".
That's great feedback thanks. I will look into these!
Cheers

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Id wager a giraffe cat...theres a few diff species ranging from 12"-30"... if u can find one of the small/medium sized growers should b a good fit. Great cleanup cat, active/personable and has a small mouth unable to eat other tank mates. Another canidate off the top of my head is synodontis decorus.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I think a vulture cat would be perfect - Charney Charney loves his- i think they max at like 16 always active - good looking fish... FYI i recently lost my tig and it was because they are sedentary- he was about 19 inches and my rays would literally chew on him and eventually it stressed him out.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I really like my vulture cat. Always sitting in the open and he holds his own when feeding. I also really like the bolt cat but have limited experience with them.

Reactions: jim barry

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I really like my vulture cat. Always sitting in the open and he holds his own when feeding. I also really like the bolt cat but have limited experience with them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store