600 GPH HOB Filter

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Hello everyone,

I posted an idea for a diy in hood canister filter and got some great feedback. That feedback led me to go back to the drawing board! I decided I should just do a barebones HOB.

I have ordered a 600gph submersible pump which I can use for nearly any design so if I need to make changes it shouldn't be a big deal.

Please let me know what you guys think!

The colored ellipses are scrubbies. The pump also has a built in coarse sponge filter which should be fine considering my tank will not have loose substrate.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
I will probably also have a vent at the top of each tower that dumps above the tank water to allow gas exchange so that It won't be blowing bubbles.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I made a few and all I did was buy 2-3/4 inch bulkheads and a cereal container. Drilled holes in the container for the bulkheads and used one for the intake from the pump and one return. For the inside of the intake side I put a 90 elbow and dropped it to the bottom of the container so it can flow from bottom to top. Now that I thin abput it I should have done it the other way around but oh well

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I will probably also have a vent at the top of each tower that dumps above the tank water to allow gas exchange so that It won't be blowing bubbles.
Will this design be under pressure? If so you would not be able to add any vent type items or they will leak. I have something similar on the overflows of a drilled tank (adjustable hybrid) and it is awesome but if it were under pressure from a pump, that would be a disaster.

If not under pressure I would consider how to backwash or clean it out. Scrubbies will eventually clog if single stacked. I love the concept and have built similar things in the past. I used the plastic tubing of a python hose so you can see the status of the filter and really liked it. That was supporting a small tank though.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Will this design be under pressure? If so you would not be able to add any vent type items or they will leak. I have something similar on the overflows of a drilled tank (adjustable hybrid) and it is awesome but if it were under pressure from a pump, that would be a disaster.

If not under pressure I would consider how to backwash or clean it out. Scrubbies will eventually clog if single stacked. I love the concept and have built similar things in the past. I used the plastic tubing of a python hose so you can see the status of the filter and really liked it. That was supporting a small tank though.
It will not be under pressure. As drawn there would be a slight pressure which is why I would have vents. The vents would be significantly above the waterline near the caps. The vents themselves would lead back to the tank above the water. The point being that the vents would prevent pressure and also provide a "dump" path if the scrubbies were to get so clogged that the water was restricted to the point of overflow. The caps in the drawing are simply to reduce noise and evaporation but because its above the water level even with 600 gph it should function the same without them (assuming an appropriate diameter output). This drawing isnt necessarily to any scale to be clear.

As for cleaning I planned to use pvc thats large enough for my hand to fit inside which is why there are two removable end caps. As long as I dont build the "U" too deep I should be able to reach all the scrubbies without even taking the filter off the tank.

I hope that clears the design up! Thanks for the feedback

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
I am still looking for feedback if you guys have any. I find forums to be a great way to avoid mistakes before you get out the saws and glue!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store