I'm back.. With Tig

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
Hey guys been a LONG time since I've been keeping fish but I am officially back!!! I've been a silent forum follower for a couple years now but I got the opportunity to hop back into the hobby again so here we are.

I just went and bought a Tigrinus catfish yesterday but he is going to stay at the shop until I feel my tank is completely ready for him. I am going to be keeping him in a 75 alone for a little while until he is eating and comfortable. He is anywhere from 4-6 inches.

What are some suggestions you all have who have kept Tigs? I'm willing to take any and all suggestions.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
For starters if the filter on that 75 is mature I would bring the tig home.No point in leaving it at the shop and running the risk of something happening to it if you don't have to.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I would say use no substrate or non abrasive substrate ( dont wanna ruin skin or barbels) also make sure he has plenty of flow as well as break points / hiding places. also keep water quality pristine... when small they tend to be sensitive.

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
For starters if the filter on that 75 is mature I would bring the tig home.No point in leaving it at the shop and running the risk of something happening to it if you don't have to.
Ok I could use some insight on that too. The guy I got the tank from hadn't used it in 5-6 months but he still had all the filter media from his sump so I slapped an AC110 and a Penguin 350 on it and threw the bio balls from the sump into the tank along with some quick start to get things going in the right direction. I got some API test kits so I'm gonna test the water in the morning. How long do you project it takes?

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
I would say use no substrate or non abrasive substrate ( dont wanna ruin skin or barbels) also make sure he has plenty of flow as well as break points / hiding places. also keep water quality pristine... when small they tend to be sensitive.
I have an AC10 and a Penguin 350 running on it and a Koralia power head pushing 1100 gph at it rn with two big airstones too should that be enough if I keep up maintenance? And what temperature has seemed best to you guys?

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
As for hiding spots I picked up a good sized piece of Malaysian driftwood today I have set aside to soak for a week or so while I await his arrival.

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
Hey guys been a LONG time since I've been keeping fish but I am officially back!!! I've been a silent forum follower for a couple years now but I got the opportunity to hop back into the hobby again so here we are.

I just went and bought a Tigrinus catfish yesterday but he is going to stay at the shop until I feel my tank is completely ready for him. I am going to be keeping him in a 75 alone for a little while until he is eating and comfortable. He is anywhere from 4-6 inches.

What are some suggestions you all have who have kept Tigs? I'm willing to take any and all suggestions.
Can't believe u didnt ask the guy whose name is "Tig Phish" for advice on tigs. Raised 4x tigs:

1. temp 78-82, higher the temp the more oxygen u need
2. keep the tank highly oxygenated, strong surface agitation
3. CLEAN WATER
4. avoid feeding shrimp or any crustaceans, my tigs love tilapia n black worms

Don't overthink it when keeping tigs, just follow those simple rules n ur golden

Reactions: Freshwater4Life

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
Can't believe u didnt ask the guy whose name is "Tig Phish" for advice on tigs. Raised 4x tigs:

1. temp 78-82, higher the temp the more oxygen u need
2. keep the tank highly oxygenated, strong surface agitation
3. CLEAN WATER
4. avoid feeding shrimp or any crustaceans, my tigs love tilapia n black worms

Don't overthink it when keeping tigs, just follow those simple rules n ur golden
Thanks a bunch man I will for now on, I don't think you were around last time I was posting on the site consistently. Im kind of panicked about keeping a Tig cuz its my first one and Ive heard they can be finicky so this definitely made me feel better. Have you ever fed yours night crawlers?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store