• Pads and floss

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
I currently have a pair of filter socks in my set up and are doing a great job, however am sick to death of having to remove them, rinse, bleach, rinse, dry and then put back in.

I'm think about putting a Tupperware pot with holes drilled in under the outputs, but ABOVE the water level in sump, and having a inch pad of foam, and then sheet of poly floss on top.

Idea would be to then change out poly pad every few days and bin it, and then rinse out the foam pad when I do my water changes.

What's are people experiences?

Homer Siped

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2015
I use that style pad in my w/d filter, I only replace it about every 2 weeks or so. I also use the pillow stuffing, works well

Reactions: Jez1992

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
you don't have to bleach socks, rinse twice. I take mine out, I spray em clean in the yard with the "jet" setting on the hose gun thing. That's it. no bleach ever.

Or, you could just put the socks in the washing machine. Put 'em in the washing machine with no soap, no bleach, no nothing.

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
filter socks FTW. once every 2 months, bleach in washer, no soap/bleach in washer, air dry, n soak in prime overnight

14152206_626234044244224_1718881774_o.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I have an above water level see through plastic bucket down in my sump too. I put a big wad of floss at the bottom and coarse/fine sponges on top. The sponges collect the big stuff and the floss collects fines. The best thing about using a clear bucket is you can see the water level slowly rise as the floss gets clogged. If you forget and the bucket ends up overflowing it just overflows into the sump so no danger of flooding. I get about a week out of my floss so i just change it every maintainance day. You could just have a big wad of floss in the bucket but this will collect all the big stuff as well which means your floss won't last as long. There's millions of ways of doing this type of stuff. What works for one person might not be another persons cup of tea but it's each to there own.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Thanks guys,

I don't like idea of putting them in the washer, worry it'd stink up the washing lol. Think mrs would go ape.

Gona give it a go with some floss and then fine sponge to see of water way quality is affected.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store