Rio Hondo Carpinte Update

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Frank Castle, looks more a girl, than guy from that photo. The dorsal appears very dark, the profile is more torpedo shaped than steep, and the unpaired fins all appear rounded, all female traits.
It could be the way the photo is lit, so not 100% sure though.

Most of the carpintus complex use primarily algae and detritus in nature as their main sources of food. I believe one of the reasons some aquarists have problems, is using a diet of too many meaty foods. So the gut doesn't get enough purging with fiber.
Exceptions might be the molluscan, or piscivorous H minckleyi, but for most of the carpintus complex I found a very low protein, high spirulina pellet effective, I would also add hair algae to the tank from my pond in summer and believe the components of algae to help color.

above male carpintus "location Chairel", below tamosopensus preparing a spawning site.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Do you ever get any readings of amonia and does it really help w/ nitrate reduction once it settles in?
FYI, I have 30 liters of pond matrix in the wet part of my sump, and my tank is always 0/0/0 with 19 2-4" cichlids. I've let it go as long as 10 days just to test, but I usually do about a 70% water change weekly anyway. It works.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
FYI, I have 30 liters of pond matrix in the wet part of my sump, and my tank is always 0/0/0 with 19 2-4" cichlids. I've let it go as long as 10 days just to test, but I usually do about a 70% water change weekly anyway. It works.
what does this post have anything to do with the OP's thread?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
It's obvious. Try reading the the thread next time instead of posting messages that serve no purpose other than to be a jerk.
what does this post have anything to do with the OP's thread?
lol whatever
oh....I see, i'm sorry man, I read it before I had my coffee and I must have missed something.......when I read it I just said to myself "ok and an airplane flies and a cow says "moo""

my mistake, dude

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
oh....I see, i'm sorry man, I read it before I had my coffee and I must have missed something.......when I read it I just said to myself "ok and an airplane flies and a cow says "moo""

my mistake, dude
Thanks for the mea culpa Eric. I could have been more diplomatic in my response as well. :D

PS. Nice carpintis. Would love to own one some day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store