I'm back.. With Tig

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
I
Can't believe u didnt ask the guy whose name is "Tig Phish" for advice on tigs. Raised 4x tigs:

1. temp 78-82, higher the temp the more oxygen u need
2. keep the tank highly oxygenated, strong surface agitation
3. CLEAN WATER
4. avoid feeding shrimp or any crustaceans, my tigs love tilapia n black worms

Don't overthink it when keeping tigs, just follow those simple rules n ur golden
Goy my first Tig a couple weeks ago , been following that advice and has worked out great so far.

Reactions: arowanaryan

rlane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Morristown, NJ
Put a powerful power head in the tank and make sure you have lots of flow and lots of oxygen and you will be in good shape. Make sure you have good water parameters with lots or frequent water changes and you will have a happy tig. As for diet, a varied diet is best but some tigs are better eaters than others. My current tig, about 16", I can not get to eat pellets to save my life. I have friends with tigs who eat pellets like there is no tomorrow. If you can get yours on pellets and keep the water clean with lots of flow and oxygen, you will find they aren't a hard fish to keep.

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
Ok so little mini update. I just tested my water (API test kit) and came back with the following:

PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0 (tube was clear after drops instead of yellow so I'm assuming zero)
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0

This all seems relatively good but all of a sudden my waters a tad cloudy... Thoughts?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
You should have some nitrite.. Did you cycle the tank or have a filter with BB already?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I have Bioballs from the previous owners sump in my tank right now to get the new filters ready.
I forgot you said it wasn't in the tank yet nvm my question lol, but you might wanna get a few feeders and feed them, without waste the nitrogen cycle doesn't start which is what you need to produce the beneficial bacteria

Unless you did that too and I missed it..

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
I forgot you said it wasn't in the tank yet nvm my question lol, but you might wanna get a few feeders and feed them, without waste the nitrogen cycle doesn't start which is what you need to produce the beneficial bacteria

Haven't put any feeders in cuz I'm paranoid af about disease but I put some algae wafers in last night then took them out this morning to start some type of nitrogen cycle and reanimate the BB from the Bioballs and the quick start I put in my tank.. Does that sound about right?

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro

I also want to know if my 7.6 PH is acceptable with Tigs and if not how to lower it properly. I have stuff that will lower the PH but I'm weary of chemicals especially with something as sensitive as a Tig

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Haven't put any feeders in cuz I'm paranoid af about disease but I put some algae wafers in last night then took them out this morning to start some type of nitrogen cycle and reanimate the BB from the Bioballs and the quick start I put in my tank.. Does that sound about right?
I'm not to sure about that.. I know fish waste works idk about food being wasted lol. Someone else should chime in soon.
I also want to know if my 7.6 PH is acceptable with Tigs and if not how to lower it properly. I have stuff that will lower the PH but I'm weary of chemicals especially with something as sensitive as a Tig
As far as ph it should adapt fine just make sure to acclimate it slowly. And if you wanna lower it there are ph buffers you can buy.

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
quickest way to start the nitrogen cycle is if you take an establish sponge filter and squeeze all the water out the sponge filter into a bag, then take that bag water home n dump it into ur filter. or take a piece of fish/shrimp from market n let it rot in ur tank. i suggest the sponge filter technique.

my pH is 7.8, once again dont overthink it. u will do more harm changing the pH then help. when u get the tig home, just drip acclimate n have the tig adapt to ur water.

follow the simple golden rules n u r good my man, the first tig always makes everyone nervous (including me), CLEAN WATER my friend n ur good. Also another tip, dont overfeed, its okay at whatever size to feed every other day. i feed my tigs every other day. dont overthink it, follow the rules n enjoy ur fish

Reactions: Dee eng
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store