male or female frontosa? help

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
It's a lot easier if you have group of same species rising together, the male one will be the biggest one and most aggressive on in the group, generally male one will have bigger hump (there is some male don't have any hump at all). In your case, venting is the most accurate method to determine it's a male or female.

Blueclam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
There were several 4" 7 strip frontosas at LFS. I noticed one more dominated over others. Yet they weren't too bad due to more community environment. I always thought if it has more bump on the head on certain stage(?), I assumed it was a male. However, the store owner told me we should judge by the length of pelvic fins. If it is longer, it is a male. I still doubt his theory. Based on his opinion, we bought one with longer pelvic and other with shorter. That afternoon I acclimated both in 75 gallon QT with PVC pipes to be safe. We stepped out for 1/2 hour and came home to check and found one of them was killed by the other(all of the fins were shredded). Next day we went back to complain. Now she told me we should have bought more than 2, or more 4 frontosa because they should be community fish until they get paired up. I still think we were mis-informed about the sexing.

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Were they the only two fish in the tank or were there other non-frontosa fish?
I have always kept frontosas in groups of five or more.

Blueclam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
There were only two frontosa that time. Later I added four more Burundi. The 4" seven strip must be apparently a male. I wish I could find another seven strip female.

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
Beautiful Fronts!

The thing I have experienced with Front is that they definitely appreciate living in groups called a colony. Buy them small at least 4". Get a min. of 6 and let them grow up together.
Eventually and naturally, they would establish their own pecking order and learn to find their own space. 2 in a tank is inviting disaster be it a male female or two females in a tank.
They will nip and stress the other out; just like what a normal cichlid would do..

I am again growing out 7 Burundis myself. Have to separate the biggest in a XL breeder net. Too much agression. Chasing the smallest up to its tiny hiding cave!

How are yours doing now? What diet are they on?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store