New 48L" X 24"wide X 19"Tall tank. WHAT TO STOCK?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
So those you say would do best with apistos due to water chemistry? Or is that more of size/aggression factors.
We are saying thorichthys aureaus will not do well with apistogramma or rams.
Most apistogramma come from warm soft water,often black water habitats. Rams like soft acidic warm water.
Thorichthys aureaus is short lived in warm water suitable for fish like rams.
They do best at temperatures below 75 degrees.
They also like hard alkaline water. Generally speaking speaking they are not the most suitable mix of species.

Reactions: adamsfishes

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
FYI, I think sajicas are considered to be Amatitlania genus now. Cryptoheros nanoluteus and Honduran Red Points are little beauties that you may want to look at. Amatitlania nigrofasciatum (standard convict) tend be more aggressive, so I'd personally avoid them in a community.

Water chemistry may or may not be that important. Some fish may survive but not necessarily thrive. Other fish may be fine either way. Probably less important if the fish are captive bred and far removed from wild fish.

My personal feeling is that fish should be included with others of the same region, where it is a somewhat believable biotope. I don't think it necessarily has to be a 100% accurate biotope, but combining fish that are obviously SA soft water fish with CA alkaline/hard water fish just doesn't feel right to me. I'd stick with stuff ranging from southern Mexico to Costa Rico if you go the CA community route. And there are lots of awesome CA fish to choose from so that I don't really see the need to add SA fish. If that doesn't matter to you then by all means do what you want.

Here is my CA tank. Started with 15 Thorichthys mixtecos, added some new cichlids recently that I didn't post about yet but will soon, including some sajicas.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/my-125-gallon-central-american-cichlid-tank.673309/

Also check out Darren's tanks, he keeps some awesome CA Thorichthys tanks:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/lots-of-pics-past-and-present.656696/

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Darren brings up a great point, temperature is definitely a consideration. I keep my CA tank at 75. My old SA tank I think I kept at 84. That's a pretty big difference. Could be ok but again will depend on the fish and whether you want them to thrive or merely survive.

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
FYI, I think sajicas are considered to be Amatitlania genus now. Cryptoheros nanoluteus and Honduran Red Points are little beauties that you may want to look at. Amatitlania nigrofasciatum (standard convict) tend be more aggressive, so I'd personally avoid them in a community.

Water chemistry may or may not be that important. Some fish may survive but not necessarily thrive. Other fish may be fine either way. Probably less important if the fish are captive bred and far removed from wild fish.

My personal feeling is that fish should be included with others of the same region, where it is a somewhat believable biotope. I don't think it necessarily has to be a 100% accurate biotope, but combining fish that are obviously SA soft water fish with CA alkaline/hard water fish just doesn't feel right to me. I'd stick with stuff ranging from southern Mexico to Costa Rico if you go the CA community route. And there are lots of awesome CA fish to choose from so that I don't really see the need to add SA fish. If that doesn't matter to you then by all means do what you want.

Here is my CA tank. Started with 15 Thorichthys mixtecos, added some new cichlids recently that I didn't post about yet but will soon, including some sajicas.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/my-125-gallon-central-american-cichlid-tank.673309/

Also check out Darren's tanks, he keeps some awesome CA Thorichthys tanks:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/lots-of-pics-past-and-present.656696/
I definetly want to do a CA biotope now after seeing how many great fish there are in it. I'm gonna ha e a seperate dwarf tank much smaller tank too at that lol.

I think either of these fish would look great with aureus

Cryptoheros sajica

Maskaheros regani ( just saw another members post from the forum, amazing fish props to him.)

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I would reconsider regani for your tank.
They get too big and aggressive for a four foot tank.
Personally I would do a group of 12 aureaus and a group of livebearers.
Aureaus will make a stunning display on their own.

Reactions: adamsfishes

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
I would reconsider regani for your tank.
They get too big and aggressive for a four foot tank.
Personally I would do a group of 12 aureaus and a group of livebearers.
Aureaus will make a stunning display on their own.
Is that fish in your profile pic an aureaus? It a stunning fish for sure. And yeah I'm tryna not have over aggression in the tank. Are there any Central Americans similar to sajica and regani in color that would work? The Red Head? If not I'd be happy with aureaus, I just feel like there's a lot of beautiful CA's there's got to be some compatible

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
Is that fish in your profile pic an aureaus? It a stunning fish for sure. And yeah I'm tryna not have over aggression in the tank. Are there any Central Americans similar to sajica and regani in color that would work? The Red Head? If not I'd be happy with aureaus, I just feel like there's a lot of beautiful CA's there's got to be some compatible
And sorry to confuse everyone I am Fox37 that was my old account which I forgot to log onto on my phone hence posting as drewster. I made the drewster acc when I couldn't remember my Fox password which I got back when I made the thread lmao oops. The email updates go to drewster..

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
The fish in my profile pic is thorichthys helleri
DSC_0199.JPG
There are around 10 species of thorichthys available. May be worth looking into them all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store