Dwarf Caiman Tankmates

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Here are three sources I found about keeping turtles with caimans:

"It is not uncommon to hear reports of turtles and even fish nibbling away at a caiman's tail or toes, especially when they don't have sufficient food themselves. However, some owners have reported that caimans get along well with turtles, as long as the turtle is too big to fit inside the caiman's jaws. An adult caiman is quite capable of crushing a smaller turtle's shell." - posted on www.crocodilian.com

"I've seen dwar caimen kept and housed with Large Belize and Nic Sliders... I've seen crocs housed with large Podoc turtles, alligators with sliders and cooters... Aslong as they're bigger than the croc I dont think you should have any issues." - posted by member Shells-N-Scales on MFK

"Enclosure mates can include but not limited to other caimans of similar size(if there is sufficient space) turtles(painted, sliders etc but no aggressive turtles such as snappers) and sometimes fish. These are likely to be eaten so don't put your favorite fish in with them. Smaller fish have a good chance at being left alone when the caiman is larger. " - posted by member Lepisosteus Platyrhinchus on MFK (note that LP owns Claudia, a female dwarf caiman and has a 126 page build thread for her enclosure, check it out it's awesome)
Honestly, you'd be better off making this same post on a Reptile forum or Crocodilians.com or whatnot. See what they have to say. Like I said turtles ARE #1 candidate to house with crocs, but there's too many "IFs" involved. See if they think it's a good idea.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Honestly, you'd be better off making this same post on a Reptile forum or Crocodilians.com or whatnot. See what they have to say. Like I said turtles ARE #1 candidate to house with crocs, but there's too many "IFs" involved. See if they think it's a good idea.
Good point. The ETB might wok if you could get it perfect but the chances of that happening are slim. The turtle seems to be the only viable option.

I'm going to sign up there and see what they see, thanks for the idea

Reactions: Frank Castle

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
If your caiman is a dwarf or a spectacled good tank mate would be rivercooter turtles. Also u could add creatures that would be ignored or temporary like dragonflies or add a orb Webb spider on a hibiscus tree, dwarf geckos or cricket frogs may also work along with guppies

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Things that probably won't work r the tree boas and greensnakes, also water dragons will get et quickly

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
I would say no snakes or larger lizards but small lizards,frogs,and bugs would work well with an adult caiman.as far as fish go I would stay small like guppies or dwarf species.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
to house ONE dwarf caiman an enclosure of 16 feet long X 8 feet wide is rule-of-thumb.

Consider going bigger for a pair and any other living creatures added to it.

This was never a good idea, and still is not 6 months later. Even the smallest of all extant crocodilian species is difficult to house properly by anyone except zoos and the very very wealthy

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
I don't keep reptiles nowadays nor care to but do remember quite few nature shows saying that caimans are known as the most aggressive vs a gator per few shows putting them as nasty temperament along with the croc. The gator is a nicer version of a croc

Just sayin its not worth the trouble to own with all regulations and it is a threat to the public if it escapes.

Reactions: Frank Castle

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
I don't keep reptiles nowadays nor care to but do remember quite few nature shows saying that caimans are known as the most aggressive vs a gator per few shows putting them as nasty temperament along with the croc. The gator is a nicer version of a croc

Just sayin its not worth the trouble to own with all regulations and it is a threat to the public if it escapes.
Don't worry anyways.. Most of his threads don't even get built

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store