Lowest temperatures for Polypterus senegalensis???

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The water from Africa is mid 70-80s. That's where I keep it around (78).

Reactions: tlindsey

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
The heater in the 29g my gold dust was in wasnt functioning for a couple weeks and I didnt realize it (he was solo so I was lax on water changes) light still came on but no heat. Tank was around 68 f when I realised it.... why he didnt eat much early on. But he survived it

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
The heater in the 29g my gold dust was in wasnt functioning for a couple weeks and I didnt realize it (he was solo so I was lax on water changes) light still came on but no heat. Tank was around 68 f when I realised it.... why he didnt eat much early on. But he survived it
Ok, well I have a Polypterus senegalensis (senegalus?) that has been not growing, moved to a breeder net for months, EATEN by a Jaguar cichlid (I reached in with a net and made him spit it out and managed to save him), and been through some **** and I assume that's why he's only gone from 2" in December to 3" now (but he eats like a pig), so I set up a 20L w/ 15 gallons of water (no lid, keeps the Poly from getting out) and the issue is I only have a 50watt heater rated to 10 gallons in it, soooo, I slapped one of my brand new National Geographic filters on it rated to 50 gallons and "corner-shaped" sponge filter rated to 10 gallons in the tank and the heater DOES actually keep temps fairly accurate in the strong current, but it is the only spare heater I have and IDK how long it will last if it has to be "on" that frequently to hold temps in 5 gallons more than it is rated for.

IF the heater dies, I will know by the thermometer, but I want to be sure the Poly will be ok for X-amount of time at 70F if need be. I conditioned all other tankmates to be able to live and feed at 66F- 70F throughout the Spring/Summer.

Tankmates are as follows
6 Albino Green Corydoras @1.5"- 2"
8 Jewel Cichlid fry @3/4" - 1" (only 1 is 1")
1 Redtail Black shark @2"
2 Valentine Synodontis @2" (even though they look NOTHING alike, both purchased as Valentine hybrids)
1 Polypterus senegalensis @3"

Tank is bare-bottom for now as I want to keep superior water quality and induce as much growth as possible atm. Thoughts on this BESIDES overcrowding.....it technically is overstocked, but TRUST ME, when you look in the tank, you can barely find the damn fish LOL

Thanks

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Just keep in mind that ur Senegalus is likely CB and growth will be slow and sluggish. It will grow and plateau around 5-6 inches for a good while as well. Just keep a varied diet. Keep the temp higher up as that will help with boosting growth.

Reactions: Polyaddict86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store