Kaldness feedback

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
I know nothing about K1 -- well a little from what I've read. I just stopped in to ask YOU questions. :)

I know K1 is more "high volume" bio-filtration. I understand people with Ray tanks like it for ammonia spikes that happen after feeding Rays.

could you run pond matrix in laundry bags in a sump with Rays? would that be adequate you think? That's what I run, I'm considering some Rays, wondering if I have enough bio-filtration.
I also have 2 buckets of regular matrix in the filter after the K-1 no bags just glass particians

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
I had to back flush my pump again last night after the water change. This was clogging the inlet of the pump.
This is becoming very troublesome.

IMG_20160830_122704.jpg

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Not good, didn't expect it to be that bad?!

I use k1 on my ray tank and I think a lot of ppl do now and this is unsettling. May be worth a call to the distributors of k1 in your area and highlighting the issue to see whether it is a dodgey batch or a known issue?

I'm sure if you bring their attention to this thread then they should give you a replacement, even though it's 5 years old in order to maintain their reputation. Doesn't solve the pain of recycling it however!

Reactions: B_IN_SD

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
What kind of screen is on your pump?

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
I'd be quite pissed if that had happened to me, based on the price of this stuff. Kind of one of the reasons I'm starting to question Bio-home and it's Nitrate reduction claims as well disintegration properties (although i haven't personally tried it). Seachem Matrix makes the same NITRATE reduction claims, and even with a 1/2 flow restricted SunSun404B for 8 months, I experienced NO changes. That's when I switched back to my old previously used pot scrubbers (weight difference was a bonus as well). These companies just lie, lie, lie... ugh!

The hobby seems to be even more full of "lies and deceit" as it ever has been. Heck If I were you I'd go with pot scrubbers. That's what I use as my main easy to clean bio. I can't imagine pot scrubbers ever breaking down, and they're just so much easier to clean,(water hose with nozzle when needed) and CHEAP!

Best of luck, and I hope to get handled fairly by the manufacturer/vendor...

Jennilyn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2016
I don't even understand how those pieces are even getting near your pump. Can you explain your set up? Or did I miss it?

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
I just sent them an email asking about this issue. I will let you guys know what they say.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store