Trying My Hand At A Single Species Breeding Tank

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Hello everyone,

I have a 55 gallon that has been setup for a few weeks now just waiting for fish. I do have to cycle the tank still but that will not be a problem as I am well versed in that task.

In the mean time I want to figure out what to put in it!

I am really gravitating towards a species only tank of some variety of peacock cichlid. I love the colors and have read that many will breed quite easily. I would actually prefer a variety of peacocks but I understand the cross breeding dilemma and I do not want to do male only.

I'm hoping you all with more cichlid experience could help suggest some peacock (or non peacock) cichlids that I could attempt to breed in my 55. I will setup a fry tank as well obviously.

I'd like aggression to be on the milder side with lots of color. Ideally I would have 2 males in the tank but I am curious also if you guys think that's a bad idea.

Thanks all!

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would do 3 species with 1m:4f of each.
1m:4f Aulonocara rubescens or stuartgranti Maleri Maleri Island
1m:4f Placodichromis electra Deep Water
1m:4f Otopharynx lithobates

You will need 3 fry tanks unless you will grow out one batch at a time.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
I would do 3 species with 1m:4f of each.
1m:4f Aulonocara rubescens or stuartgranti Maleri Maleri Island
1m:4f Placodichromis electra Deep Water
1m:4f Otopharynx lithobates

You will need 3 fry tanks unless you will grow out one batch at a time.
Won't that be too many? I know overstocking can be done to spread aggression but I was thinking 1 species with 2 males and 4 -5 females. I would like multiple species but I've read against it for breeding.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
About 12-15 fish is about right for a standard 55 gallon. You pick species that have females that don't resemble each other. Electra/bars, peacock/brown, otopharynx/spots. If you decide on one species you'll want one male or at least 3. Two males would end with one constantly targeting the other. Even with multiple males you may only end up with one coloring up. Also this isn't the best setup to get lots of color, you'll have the dominate males with color, everyone else will be silver or brown.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
What would be a good way to setup a somewhat colorful breeding tank? I understand that an all male setup is the most colorful but I can't imagine you can't have breeding and a few colorful fish

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Not all, the fire fish, aka dragons blood.
I have her with mixed mbuna, and a North American sun fish.

1472694757025.jpg

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Maybe you could go with Yellow Labs and Blue Dolphins. The females have the same colours as the males so no drab brown and no crossbreeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store