oddball ideas

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
sorry I haven't been on in a while, thank you all for the responses.

Hendre I agree red belly piranha are a bad idea but thank you blackwolf911 for the idea.

I agree with you moe214 The dimensions aren't really good for fish that I really want but the tank was a 30 dollar pickup and I would go bigger but I'm in college and I have a friend watching my monsters while I'm gone for the school year.

If I could I would have my 150 gallon.

wolf fish are cool but I think they gat a bit big for the small tank
cichlids are too normal and thats just me being picky but great idea.

the reason I want aggressive is for both wow factor and they are more interesting to me then just a fish for the color

I was kinda thinking freshwater moray, a small pack of bucktooth tetra, or chaca chaca (not together of corse) but what might be your input on that?

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
I had a school of the bucktooth tetra .. they are very active but not too impressive really ...the fresh water Moray is actually more of a brackish fish and they can be pretty agressive eaters .. that may be a good idea

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
There is one true freshwater moray, be prepared to pay a bit for one. Chaca cats can be kept in groups

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
The true freshwater moray gets to big for your tank, the biggest specimen I heard of was 3'. And they get pretty active once comfortable. A chaca chaca would probably be fine, I have to look up on the max size again, it might've only been 4" or so. Buck tooth tetras are a good option. I always thought African butterfly fish were a nice little monster and you'd be able to keep something else with it. I had one probably 5" with the tail, but my bichirs got hungry when I went on vaca, when I came back it had chunks taking out of it lol.. Not to many small monsters you can keep in that tank with dimensions.

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
Im fine with brackish and the Gymnothorax tile stay pretty small and are pretty cheep. the chaca chaca are cool but are about 70 bucks a pop and seem to do much better on a live diet.

I also just saw a brackish species that is kinda cool the batrachomoeus trispinosus it would get too big for the tank I have but a cool idea for a future 40b

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I was thinking puffer, maybe a hairy puffer, gsp or figure of eight? Keep in mind gsp and foe need brackish/marine once grown.
Another option is nandus nandus leaf fish, predatory little guys or pikeheads. Blue lobsters...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Im fine with brackish and the Gymnothorax tile stay pretty small and are pretty cheep. the chaca chaca are cool but are about 70 bucks a pop and seem to do much better on a live diet.

I also just saw a brackish species that is kinda cool the batrachomoeus trispinosus it would get too big for the tank I have but a cool idea for a future 40b
The freshwater moray mentioned is actually G.Polyurandaon (which reaches 3'+)

Otheriwise what about smaller spiny eels such as Peacock eels or something???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store