Kissing gourami full size?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Kissing gourami a seem to mostly fight with there own kind, but will fight other fish if challenged, with good care u can expect a 8 inch fish but they can get bigger

Reactions: Hendre

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Most people say they really can be aggressive as adults, and sizes vary.
I would like some fish be kept as a single or pair, and i saw my old teachers GT and it was STUNNING
no, i'm not saying GT are punks, I meant Pink Kissers.

Green Terrors CAN be aggressive or fairly communicable depending on how they were raised, tankmates, tank size, and sex.

Females tend to be a lot worse unless you have a male who is the dominant fish in the tank, but again it boils down to "Is the dominant male GT dominant without question or does he have challengers that he KNOWS may pose a problem in the future".

Extra aggression can be seen in dominant males when kept with Parachromis, Amphilophus females, as well as FH females or even pushy JDs and FMs or Convicts. A male GT isn't necessarily a savage killer but it is like a Pitbull and has to win at everything unless it gets beat within an inch of it's life by a tankmates.

Then it may submit to a more aggressive fish, for instance I have a male GT who has been "arguing" over dominance w/ a male RTM for the past 6 months, and I have a feeling the GT will need to be moved or the Red Tiger will move him for me, if you catch my drift.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hehe... thanks for the write up. I think acaras are a better choice and the wood will give a hiding spot for any other fish

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I am also seriously considering a P.Polleni

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I was given a pink kissing gourami as a gift a few weeks ago. Not really something I planned for, but the job of being a husband and dad is a dangerous one. LOL. I've read up on'em a bit. Mainly thanks to kmuda's write-up over on oscarfish. I've actually grown to like this little guy. WAAY more active than I'm used to from a gourami, having only kept dwarfs and a pearl in the past. He's definitely the center piece fish of the tank and flies right over to see you. The lips never stop skimming all surfaces and thankfully he/she's not mulching up the plants. Just skims the surface. He does dart after the corys at the bottom from time to time, but ignores the hatchets, celestial pearl danios and the red cherry shrimp. Kissers don't have teeth and have a tiny throat, so what they can gobble is limited. Mine happily sucks up flake food from the surface. We'll see how it goes. They'll typically ignore small community fish I'm told, but can be complete hellions towards same or larger sized fish, so you pretty much have to commit to them being a center piece fish.. and potentially for the long haul. I know this 29g will be too small eventually. I keep my nitrates at 20ppm or less with weekly water changes.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I was given a pink kissing gourami as a gift a few weeks ago. Not really something I planned for, but the job of being a husband and dad is a dangerous one. LOL. I've read up on'em a bit. Mainly thanks to kmuda's write-up over on oscarfish. I've actually grown to like this little guy. WAAY more active than I'm used to from a gourami, having only kept dwarfs and a pearl in the past. He's definitely the center piece fish of the tank and flies right over to see you. The lips never stop skimming all surfaces and thankfully he/she's not mulching up the plants. Just skims the surface. He does dart after the corys at the bottom from time to time, but ignores the hatchets, celestial pearl danios and the red cherry shrimp. Kissers don't have teeth and have a tiny throat, so what they can gobble is limited. Mine happily sucks up flake food from the surface. We'll see how it goes. They'll typically ignore small community fish I'm told, but can be complete hellions towards same or larger sized fish, so you pretty much have to commit to them being a center piece fish.. and potentially for the long haul. I know this 29g will be too small eventually. I keep my nitrates at 20ppm or less with weekly water changes.

He looks quite cool. I was considering a normal kissing gourami and red tail shark in a dark tank for a while but decided against it in the end

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
That's not a bad call Hendre. Even though these are a common, inexpensive fish sold for community type tanks, they really take some planning and commitment given the size they can get and the number of years they'll live.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That's not a bad call Hendre. Even though these are a common, inexpensive fish sold for community type tanks, they really take some planning and commitment given the size they can get and the number of years they'll live.
Yeah. I have only seen kissing gourami once in person actually.

I got a pink tail chalceus as an upper dweller, but eventually he will have to go due to the size they reach and the speeds they reach. Over 8" and he is gone. I will likely have to disassemble my tanks anyway when i study in a few years

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
... I will likely have to disassemble my tanks anyway when i study in a few years
Yep. I've been there my friend. That lead to a long break for me. ~1989-2012.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yep. I've been there my friend. That lead to a long break for me. ~1989-2012.
I would like to keep my 15 gallon with me if i have an apartment or dorm since it is an easy size and has space for fun fish like the rosy barbs i have currently

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store