How hardy are LMB?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
oh ok nvm...
Ohh lol! Circle hook, right in the corner of his mouth. Not a bad hook, in the skin not the jawbone
....I was gonna say, if they swallow the hook and you cut the line, even though a lot of them do survive they can have some eating problems and lethargy but this wouldn't pertain then.

Still not a fan of circle hooks.....seems to take a lot of the fun out of fishing, i'm a hook-setter.....plus you miss a lot of fish when they're lazy and mouthing the bait .....my buddy had some Flatheads screwing with him and he just had to sit there and wait cuz he had circle hooks, but I was hooking right into 'em when they hit cuz I use baitholders

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
oh ok nvm...
....I was gonna say, if they swallow the hook and you cut the line, even though a lot of them do survive they can have some eating problems and lethargy but this wouldn't pertain then.

Still not a fan of circle hooks.....seems to take a lot of the fun out of fishing, i'm a hook-setter.....plus you miss a lot of fish when they're lazy and mouthing the bait .....my buddy had some Flatheads screwing with him and he just had to sit there and wait cuz he had circle hooks, but I was hooking right into 'em when they hit cuz I use baitholders
It depends what type of fishing you're doing. When shark fishing, I prefer circles because there's pretty much no chance the fish will throw or swallow the hook, meaning they have a much better chance of being released properly. But with bass, I'll admit, I like setting the hook too. I've switched over to octopus or live-bait style hooks (maybe they're mosquito hooks) for a good combination - they're like circles that you get to set. And even if you're being a bit lazy, they will usually hook themselves too

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
How deep and how big is the pond u put him in
Dude read the thread... it's dead already. The pond is an oval, probably 100 feet long and like 30 feet wide. Doesn't get any deeper than 6 feet... that I know of. Most of it's pretty shallow though

In another note, I think the other one died as well. That really sucks, I raised that bass in a 10 gallon, then a 20, then a 55, then the pond and hand fed it sometimes, I'm gonna try getting in the pond this weekend to see if I can find her

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Dude read the thread... it's dead already. The pond is an oval, probably 100 feet long and like 30 feet wide. Doesn't get any deeper than 6 feet... that I know of. Most of it's pretty shallow though

In another note, I think the other one died as well. That really sucks, I raised that bass in a 10 gallon, then a 20, then a 55, then the pond and hand fed it sometimes, I'm gonna try getting in the pond this weekend to see if I can find her
You know, some ponds are simply not as healthy as others, meaning the ecosystem itself is not great, and the food chain can be "missing links". COuld have been poorly oxygenated, the water's chemistry could have been less than favorable, or some type of toxin could have leeched in from something. Not all ponds are able to harbor monsters - I have a pond across the street from my house and it has lots of LMBs but they are all small and skinny; a 12" is a good catch, sadly. This pond even has a mechanical water fountain to add oxygen and flow, however in the summer months it becomes entirely covered in duckweed and vegetation......there are several like this in the area and other also have no bass at all and just Sunfish. Sometimes ponds just don't have the requirements needed to keep fish that size healthy and well-fed.

To ME, a 100' X 30' pond that is mainly shallow will allow larger fish to suffer tremendously in the heat. Remember, LMB can TOLERATE warm water, but HOT water is a different story and the fact that they stay most active in temps between 65F and 75F, but most favorable 68-70F should say something about them.

Next time you go there, float a thermometer in several parts of the pond and take some temperature readings, then find the deepest spots if you can, attach the thermometer to a pole securely and take some more readings down deep. If the temperatures are unfavorable in the deeper spots, you will know why they died. They must have a way to escape the heat. Smaller bass have a much easier time thermoregulating than larger ones

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
You know, some ponds are simply not as healthy as others, meaning the ecosystem itself is not great, and the food chain can be "missing links". COuld have been poorly oxygenated, the water's chemistry could have been less than favorable, or some type of toxin could have leeched in from something. Not all ponds are able to harbor monsters - I have a pond across the street from my house and it has lots of LMBs but they are all small and skinny; a 12" is a good catch, sadly. This pond even has a mechanical water fountain to add oxygen and flow, however in the summer months it becomes entirely covered in duckweed and vegetation......there are several like this in the area and other also have no bass at all and just Sunfish. Sometimes ponds just don't have the requirements needed to keep fish that size healthy and well-fed.

To ME, a 100' X 30' pond that is mainly shallow will allow larger fish to suffer tremendously in the heat. Remember, LMB can TOLERATE warm water, but HOT water is a different story and the fact that they stay most active in temps between 65F and 75F, but most favorable 68-70F should say something about them.

Next time you go there, float a thermometer in several parts of the pond and take some temperature readings, then find the deepest spots if you can, attach the thermometer to a pole securely and take some more readings down deep. If the temperatures are unfavorable in the deeper spots, you will know why they died. They must have a way to escape the heat. Smaller bass have a much easier time thermoregulating than larger ones
Good idea, temps may have gotten to them. I don't think they did, but it's definitely worth checking. Hopefully it didn't though.

On another note, remember that school build I was doing? Well, check that thread tomorrow - got a fun surprise ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store