Shooting within earshot of my house!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Well if they live together then the gun is likely accessible to everyone
Hello; I do get that take on things. I can think of ways a gun can be available to only the legal occupants.
Here is a thought experiment for you and anyone else to comment on. Say I carpool with others and I am a legal carry permit holder. If one of the other riders is a restricted felon then I should not be able to exercise my legal right simply due to his/her presence? This is what I am thinking on.

Another way to consider this may be to acknowledge that a "convict" ( I am going to think of this as meaning someone who is restricted but free to be out in the world.) may be in places where guns exist at times. A restricted felon knows of the imposed restriction and to avoid being in violation and a return to prison simply decides not to hold or posses a gun. I can picture a restricted felon being in a place full of guns and doing the correct thing by not having anything to do with any of them.

Your thoughts?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hello; I do get that take on things. I can think of ways a gun can be available to only the legal occupants.
Here is a thought experiment for you and anyone else to comment on. Say I carpool with others and I am a legal carry permit holder. If one of the other riders is a restricted felon then I should not be able to exercise my legal right simply due to his/her presence? This is what I am thinking on.

Another way to consider this may be to acknowledge that a "convict" ( I am going to think of this as meaning someone who is restricted but free to be out in the world.) may be in places where guns exist at times. A restricted felon knows of the imposed restriction and to avoid being in violation and a return to prison simply decides not to hold or posses a gun. I can picture a restricted felon being in a place full of guns and doing the correct thing by not having anything to do with any of them.

Your thoughts?
Valid point,but there is always the risk. If a felon for example cant resist the temptation of cash in the register what makes you think they always change?

A car is different and if they do not know you have a firearm then chances are they will not do anything bad (especially if they are your friend)

Aaroncboo1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2012
Lockport IL
If I'm not mistaken the restrictions is on whichever household the person is living. I'm allowed to still go out and buy guns but I cannot keep them in the house where a convict is living solely because he or she is restricted from having them by law. Is he or she moved out of the house into an apartment I would be allowed to keep them in my house again

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
If a felon for example cant resist the temptation of cash in the register what makes you think they always change?
Hello; Don't know that I have any real confidence that a true felon will change, but to avoid prison they may have enough sense to follow the rules. Point being that in some manner they have been released back into society with the understanding they do not have guns.

if they do not know you have a firearm then chances are they will not do anything bad (especially if they are your friend)
Hello; I will stipulate that the felon is aware of the presence of a gun in my thought experiment. I will also allow that the felon is no more than a work acquaintance. No sly ways to avoid the issue of how far should legal gun owners be affected y the presence of a felon in a car pool.

the restrictions is on whichever household the person is living
Hello; The thing that comes to mind is that this reminds me of the tactics used by those who wish to ban guns altogether. They wish to ban guns from all of us because a very few have used them in unacceptable ways. By very few I am thinking that compared to the hundreds of millions of a population who own guns, a small percentage have used guns in an illegal manner. The logic seems to be to take away guns from some number of many thousands because one person might use one to do something illegal.

I guess that if I can not have guns in my home and a felon living in the home, then the felon will have to be homeless.

I also guess the fault in the logic, to me, is that somehow a felon can be kept away from getting a gun if he/she wants one. I can secure my guns in a home to limit access from anyone else felon or no.

One further clarification. I believe the gun death statistics include those done in self defense and by accident. Self defense is a vital use of a gun and, in my opinion, should not be lumped in with the numbers. An accident is by definition an accident and should be avoided, but not much of a reason to ban a machine.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
If I'm not mistaken the restrictions is on whichever household the person is living. I'm allowed to still go out and buy guns but I cannot keep them in the house where a convict is living solely because he or she is restricted from having them by law. Is he or she moved out of the house into an apartment I would be allowed to keep them in my house again
What if, hypothetically, you kept the gun in a locked safe, with the keys to said safe on your person at all times?

I ask because where I am the only way to legally have a gun in the house (after you get the license to keep a gun) is to keep it in a locked safe, the safe is normally bolted to the floor (every one I know with guns has their safes bolted to the floor so I assume its part of the law, but I'm not 100% on that) and only the owner of said guns is supposed to know where the keys are, the twist lock code etc.

The safe also has to meet a certain standard to make sure it's "suitable" to hold the gun although I don't know what the standard is, all I know is my hubbys uncle got in big trouble a few years ago for not having a "suitable" safe.

Would Americans be able to use a heavy locked safe as a "loop hole" sorta thing to be able to keep a gun in the house with a convicted felon? Not that I'm recommending it I'm just curious about the gun laws over there.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
U still can't keep a gun with a convict with a locked safe legally, but this convict I live with was both falsely accused and can barely lift a glass of water, I hate the " it has to b in a locked safe law" b cuz it doesn't do u much good there

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
U still can't keep a gun with a convict with a locked safe legally, but this convict I live with was both falsely accused and can barely lift a glass of water, I hate the " it has to b in a locked safe law" b cuz it doesn't do u much good there
We're actually not allowed to own guns for self defense, they're owned for hunting and in the case of pistols, target shooting. To own a pistol in Tassie you need to be a member of a pistol club otherwise the government are all like "y'all don't need pistols, they're used for fun and nothing else" which I think is stupid really, its basically telling people that the only reason to own a pistol is to have "fun"... Wow this country's stupid sometimes...

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
We're actually not allowed to own guns for self defense, they're owned for hunting and in the case of pistols, target shooting. To own a pistol in Tassie you need to be a member of a pistol club otherwise the government are all like "y'all don't need pistols, they're used for fun and nothing else" which I think is stupid really, its basically telling people that the only reason to own a pistol is to have "fun"... Wow this country's stupid sometimes...
My dad says the Australians government is a bunch of nannies

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
My dad says the Australians government is a bunch of nannies
Kinda... I think some of our laws are stupid beyond reason - don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for our gun laws, I never had to see kids get shot at school, never had to worry about the drunk guy down the road going stupid and shooting up the neighborhood (until recently :/) but I think the laws around pistols give the wrong idea... Its basically saying "hey kids, if someone breaks into your house and tries to kill you just roll over and take it, but if you want a good time, buy a pistol they're so much fun!"

Personally I think your dad is pretty spot on with his thinking. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store