Some Black Light Shots

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Shoutout to wednesday13 wednesday13 for making me want one.
just saw this :) niiiice pickup man! Ive found they glow better under blue lights surprisingly... even just the "party" colored flouro bulbs u screw in sold at hardware stores. I also aquired my 1st 3 at this size, after 6 months there 7". Glad to know i inspired u lol... very cool specimen to have on hand.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
just saw this :) niiiice pickup man! Ive found they glow better under blue lights surprisingly... even just the "party" colored flouro bulbs u screw in sold at hardware stores. I also aquired my 1st 3 at this size, after 6 months there 7". Glad to know i inspired u lol... very cool specimen to have on hand.
I just made a light using my phone flashlight.

What'd you feed yours to get that growth?

I've got the cool clean water down by still am trying to find a good staple food.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
most of the breeders i read about swear by the salmon pellets when there small... frozen foods/worms are pretty much a "treat"... i exclusively have only fed mine pellets of different brands/types since ive had em. never frozen or live/worms... sure "treats" are nice... but pellets contain the most vits/nutrients imo. Right now mine are mostly on hikari sinking gold because i buy it in bulk for my rays, i use alot of kens brand pellets also. i used the salmon pellets and crushed trout type feed when were the size of urs. i wouldnt waste ur time with live brine if hell take pellets already, thatd b more so for fry/hatchlings, id say he past that.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
most of the breeders i read about swear by the salmon pellets when there small... frozen foods/worms are pretty much a "treat"... i exclusively have only fed mine pellets of different brands/types since ive had em. never frozen or live/worms... sure "treats" are nice... but pellets contain the most vits/nutrients imo. Right now mine are mostly on hikari sinking gold because i buy it in bulk for my rays, i use alot of kens brand pellets also. i used the salmon pellets and crushed trout type feed when were the size of urs. i wouldnt waste ur time with live brine if hell take pellets already, thatd b more so for fry/hatchlings, id say he past that.
Sweet thanks. I'll try ordering sinking gold if Rays will take it.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
wednesday13 wednesday13 image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Not sure why the other image didn't work.

Edit: apparently the forum is broken per usual.

image.jpeg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
Will do. Almost splurged on one of the 1'ers at the auction but decided to make a grow out project.
should have bought it if it 12"+ you dont see a axie get that big very often.

Reactions: TroyMIfishkeeper

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Just a small update.

I thought I was going to lose him for about a month because he stopped eating, he was still moving somewhat but he just lost all interest in food. Today I finally did a 100% waterchange, took out the filter, and replaced the tank. He started eating mysis again 3 minutes after it was all said and done so here's a small update.IMG_0227.JPGIMG_0226.JPG

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Crazy how fast these guys grow, huh? I've raised 1" babies to 8" in less than a year. Don't overthink their diet too much. Mine thrived on sinking pellets (Hikari Sinking Carnivore and Sinking Cichlid Gold) and the occasional leftover shrimp or tilapia from fish feedings. Keep them cool, well aerated, and good flow and he will be a monster in no time.

Reactions: kno4te

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Crazy how fast these guys grow, huh? I've raised 1" babies to 8" in less than a year. Don't overthink their diet too much. Mine thrived on sinking pellets (Hikari Sinking Carnivore and Sinking Cichlid Gold) and the occasional leftover shrimp or tilapia from fish feedings. Keep them cool, well aerated, and good flow and he will be a monster in no time.
In the summer he definitely slowed way down growth wise then picked up again in October and kept going up till he went off food. Usually he's getting whatever pellets I'm feeding the other tanks. I'm still hoping he will take a cricket off the top.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store