Shipping cargo

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
Anyone have experience receiving fish by airport to airport shipping?

Thinking about having a fish shipped to Ohare from NY. Just dont know if its worth the cost. Fish would only be about 5 inches.

Dont know what the process is either. Any insight would be appreciated

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Everything I've read on here it's the best way to do it if you can. Seems like you have much better chance that of not having any delays going the airport route. I'm not near any airport so I prefer usps and luckily haven't have any issues but it does happen.

Fisher...

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2016
Mn
It's usually pretty easy, they drop them off in the morning and you get them that afternoon/evening. You simply show up at the air cargo facility, show your I.D., and pay for the shipping. Usually the air cargo facilities are on the outer perimeter of the airport as well so you don't have to hassle with the traffic of the main terminals or anything.
All in all, it's very simple, usually cheapest, and fastest way to get your fish. imo

Reactions: tlindsey

Fisher...

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2016
Mn
I'll elaborate a bit more...
You and the seller will confirm a shipping date. On, or maybe even before that date, the seller will email/text/call and give you a waybill (tracking) number. They may also give you the flight number with an expected arrival time of the flight they plan to ship on as well. Check the waybill number frequently throughout the day though. The estimated time of arrival can vary from the actual time of arrival by a bit due to delays or sometimes faster flight times. As I stated before, once they've arrived you simply give them your shipping info, show them your I.D., pay for the shipping....and drive home excitedly with your fish.
If there is a problem with your fish such as a d.o.a., you usually need to take a picture or two and send them to the seller within an hour or two. Usually it goes very well with air cargo though, I send and receive shipments through air cargo quite frequently and it's definitely the safest way of shipping i.m.o.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree it is one of the best ways to receive fish. And usually inexpensive if receiving many, or large fish. When I have used it I usually split the cost with a friend and we would get 4 or 5 heavy boxes (at the nearly the same cast as 1 thru UPS, FedX or some other shipper), because cost/weight is calculated differently.
And in the case where a large fish is sent, the few hours in a box, compared to overnight with normal shipping can be critical in the health/life of that fish.
I lived very close to a major airport in Milwaukee, which was a hub for Southwest, so it was very simple to get to their shipping office and get fish. They said it was very common for fish to come thru their office.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Back when I was bigger in the hobby I was getting a ton of boxes that arrived into O'Hare. Haven't done so in a few years now but I suspect in the next couple months I'll be starting again.

That said the cargo area at O'Hare is a mess right now, there is construction going on. But you wont go down to the airport near the terminals. You'd go over on the back side of the airport, through Bensenville on Irving Park Rd. The airline cargo buildings are all labeled, you go to the airline it is flown on, check in at the counter and they'll bring you the fish.

altumangel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2016
if u live near a airport then its def the best way. u get your fish the same day. def helps if you're buying big fish or sensitive fish. i have done it several times. and would prefer airport to airport but only some vendors do it. most vendors require u to do a big order for air to air. and already mention its pretty simple. show ID pay for shipping and get ur fish. also, make sure to go late to pick up your fish. so if your fish is suppose to arrive at 12pm. wait and hour or 2 before getting there. cuz it takes awhile for them to process everything. if u go to early u will have to wait.

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
Thanks for all the info as said it was a smooth transaction.

Packaged was prepaid (i paid fish store $100 to ship) so not really sure how cheap it really was. The package was 7lbs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store