I know I'm overstocked... but am I WAY over stocked?

Whisp

Feeder Fish
Jun 5, 2016
Hey MFK,

I recently condensed a few tanks when I moved for the start of medical school and now all i have is my 125g(with 55g sump), with the breaking down of tanks I kinda never rehomed or sold all of the fish i meant to and now the stocking in the 125 is:

1x 8" Vieja Synspillium(f)
1x 7" Green terror(m)
1x 5" Texas(m)
1x 5" Electric Blue Acara(f)
1x 6" red spot gold severum(not sexed)
1x 3" blood parrot(ns)
2x 3" rainbow cichlids(this is a pair)
1x 5" delhezi bichir(ns)
1x 4" sailfin gibby pleco(ns)
1x 3" jewel cichlid

I hadn't really kept a truly overstocked tank before, so I wasn't sure how bad this was. I haven't had any major aggression issues and my parameters stay fairly decent with nitrates falling between 20 and 60ppm(50% water changes every 5 days).

If it's horrid what combination of rehoming should i look to first?(I'm least attached to the texas and parrot)

Thanks in advance for you help!

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Nitrates above 20ppm are not fairly decent. They should be less than 20ppm.

I would remove the sailfin pleco since it will be the largest fish 18"+ and be the heaviest bioload.

Reactions: labiatus55

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Nitrates above 20ppm are not fairly decent. They should be less than 20ppm.

I would remove the sailfin pleco since it will be the largest fish 18"+ and be the heaviest bioload.
That's not too bad. Over 40ppm I'd worry. Lower is always better though.
I agree on the pleco. That is one reason the only kind of pleco I own is a 3" clown lol.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Yo are a bit overstocked, If I were you I'd get rid of the parrots and pleco and call it a day. Everything else should be okay, just keep an eye on the tex when he grows up, they can get pretty mean and nothing else in there is very aggressive

Jglenn213

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2016
usa
If it were me i would only keep the synspillium, gt, eba and severum and add a chocolate cichlid and a pleco that only grows to 5 or 6 inches. But to each his own. Lol

Whisp

Feeder Fish
Jun 5, 2016
Hey guys,

First off tanks too everyone for the help and input. I think i'll be removing:
-turquoise jewel
-parrot
-texas
-sailfin

and possibly adding a super red bristle nose pleco after I see how the nitrates settle down.

Thanks Again!!

Jacob

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store