my 125 gallon Central American cichlid tank

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Adam,

You are making me want to add either a pair of Thorichthys or Crytpoheros to my 125g. So what are you deciding to go with?
Hi ahud,

My personal opinion is that 2 Thorichthys is not ideal. They like to shoal, not a schooling fish per se but very social. Check out some of Darren's threads where he shows his Thorichthys spawning inches apart from each other.

My current state of mind is I will swap the gravel and keep all the fish, but I will reduce my mixteco numbers down to 9 or 10. The 4 or 5 mixtecos I move will be going to cichlidfish cichlidfish assuming he can make it to my house. I'm off this Friday, so I'm planning to break everything down then.

I'm also going to be adding a school of livebearers, species TBD. I'll post more about that later, would like some input.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Hi ahud,

My personal opinion is that 2 Thorichthys is not ideal. They like to shoal, not a schooling fish per se but very social. Check out some of Darren's threads where he shows his Thorichthys spawning inches apart from each other.

My current state of mind is I will swap the gravel and keep all the fish, but I will reduce my mixteco numbers down to 9 or 10. The 4 or 5 mixtecos I move will be going to cichlidfish cichlidfish assuming he can make it to my house. I'm off this Friday, so I'm planning to break everything down then.

I'm also going to be adding a school of livebearers, species TBD. I'll post more about that later, would like some input.
I definitely think groups are best for thorichthys. And can make it to your house :)
What kind of livebarers are you going with?

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Hi ahud,

For livebearers, I am personally going with the short fin molly, Poecillia mexicana. The wild type swordtails are very cool as well. There are lots to choose from and they make perfect dithers/targets for smaller cichlids.

I

Last edited:

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Adam,

Here are some pics of the the Mixteco in their new tank. They are doing very well. Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thanks! Hybrids though. They seem to have some deformities (mollies). The X. Helleri might be as well.
What temperature would you keep t. Mixteco at? I can only find conflicting info when searching. Right now they are at 75f.
70 to 75 is about right.
My helleri have been thriving in an unheated tank for about 18 months now.
Most thorichthys live longer in cooler temps.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
70 to 75 is about right.
My helleri have been thriving in an unheated tank for about 18 months now.
Most thorichthys live longer in cooler temps.
Thanks! From experience I know meeki and passoines does. I had a t. Mixteco gold once, and it did fine at that temp. I went away on vacation, and found it dead when I came back :(

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Whoa, those are seriously cool livebearers, wild strain mollies correct? Do they need salt in the water at all to thrive, like most pet store mollies do?

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I wish I could have these, but afraid my astyanax bimaculatus will kill them or shred their fins.

image.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store