Marine sturgeon?

hejekejahab

Feeder Fish
Jun 12, 2016
I've heard of white sturgeon living their lives in saltwater, but what about the smaller ones, like Sterlet and Shovelnose? Can they survive in saltwater?

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I've heard of white sturgeon living their lives in saltwater, but what about the smaller ones, like Sterlet and Shovelnose? Can they survive in saltwater?
There are technically smaller species that can live in saltwater, but they aren't *very* small. They're like 4 foot long small.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
If your interested in saltwater fishes with long bodies: hound fish, needlefish and cornet fish are all interesting

Erno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
A small species of sturgeon that can live in seawater is Russian sturgeon (Acipenser gueldenstaedtii )

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
No. Those dwarf sturgeon species did not evolve as euryhaline or anadromous species as in the White sturgeon.
Secondary fresh-water fish usually will have a tolerance to salinity more so than primary. one could assume that it could live/thrive (not that I'm suggesting this), no?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
A small species of sturgeon that can live in seawater is Russian sturgeon (Acipenser gueldenstaedtii )
I would hesitate to call this a dwarf species. Russian sturgeons can reach over 82" in the wild and 42-55" in aquaculture systems.

Erno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
I would hesitate to call this a dwarf species. Russian sturgeons can reach over 82" in the wild and 42-55" in aquaculture systems.
If compared with the beluga, then naturally it is a dwarfish species, so do not be shy. In fact, they grow long and in 5 years reach a mass of 3-5 kg, so that for home content this is the most suitable option

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store