Sand

MoparMuscle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2016
What's the consensus on using sand for a large predator aquarium? How do you keep it clean? I've always used aragonite sand in my marine reefs, but there's a big cleanup crew

Fisher...

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2016
Mn
What's the consensus on using sand for a large predator aquarium? How do you keep it clean? I've always used aragonite sand in my marine reefs, but there's a big cleanup crew
I find sand to be much better then gravel when cleaning the bottom, for spawning, and just looks in general. I ran with gravel for over 20 years and finally tried sand in a tank one day...I never went back! I have sand in my all my tanks now.(except bare bottom fry tanks)
I clean the sand in a similar fashion as gravel but only have to skim across the bottom with the syphon rather then having to "dig" into the gravel.
I house 4 wc groups of gibberosa and 1 wc group of frontosa in my 6 and 7' tanks and many other tanganyikan groups in 75's, 90's, 40 breeders, ect. The gibbs and fronts are pooping machines!!!

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I believe the trick is to have a thin layer of heavy sand with decent flow and positioning from powerheads enough so the waste gets stired up into the filteration but not so much of a heavy flow where sand gets pushed into a pile

Fisher...

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2016
Mn
I believe the trick is to have a thin layer of heavy sand with decent flow and positioning from powerheads enough so the waste gets stired up into the filteration but not so much of a heavy flow where sand gets pushed into a pile
+1
Also, many people will put a powerhead or a wave maker on a timer to do a quick cleanup a few times a day with more delicate fish that can't keep up with higher currents for long periods as well.

MoparMuscle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2016
I think I'll use a thin 1" layer of estes super reef, since it's supposedly ceramic coated and inert, not having an effect on pH. I have two Vortech MP40W 's, which I'll keep on wave mode. Having a ray should help keep it stirred as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store