Black Congo Calvus

Razzo

Piranha
MFK Member
May 18, 2008
Northern Indiana
Very excited to have altolamps again! I broke down and ordered a wild group of Altolamprologus calvus (Black Congo Calvus) from Greg at Little Africa Aquatics (2m/3f). So happy with them! They are still very shy and hard to photograph without feeding them, based on past groups of altolamps, I trust this will improve). Pics are a few days old. They have since started getting much darker (which I like). I'll add more photos as they become less shy; but, here's a few early pics for starters...

Large show male

One of the females being VERY shy

House 64

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
An island somewhere......
One of my favorites when I kept Altos! Nice size group too Razzo!

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Is it best to keep these guys in a species specific tank? Or do they do okay with other Altolamprologus?

Razzo

Piranha
MFK Member
May 18, 2008
Northern Indiana
Is it best to keep these guys in a species specific tank? Or do they do okay with other Altolamprologus?
That's a tricky question. In my experience, when you have three or more males of each species, they completely ignore the other species... even when spawning. Also, when keeping one species, you need to either do one male or three plus males otherwise there will be a war with a looser.

Fisher...

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2016
Mn
Hey John,

Welcome to MFK! Glad to have you over here. Your vast experience with Tangs will be most welcome!

Russ
Thanks Russ! I've got a couple hundred posts here under a different username somewhere but I haven't been on here for quite awhile and I lost my little book with all my old usernames and passwords. I remember "fisher" being taken and I used some other weird name but I can't remember it for the life of me. lol I got smart and just added a couple periods this time though. (and made a duplicate copy of my new little secret code book. lol)

Reactions: Razzo
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store