Lince Catfish???

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
So all you guys with actual monster tanks, do you remember a time when you were blissfully unaware or at least limited awareness of some of these big cats or other monster fish. You knew about pacu and RTC and others and were perfectly fine with your normal big tank(like 180 to 300) and then you innocently clicked a pic or vid and everything seemed so wrong?

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I know what you mean. I've been on this site for 11 years and only JUST saw a thread that taught me there were more than 1 species of TSN! Now i want them! Lol! I never knew!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Not sure what, upon clicking, should have seemed wrong but IMHO we should leave this thread to be about lince. Why not start your own thread? It sounds like a fun topic, just doesn't belong here...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's exactly what I meant, the landed cost is high due to the transport difficulty and mortality rate. the actual fish if landed without those problems would be a quarter of the said price.
No one seems to be able to or are willing to collect younger smaller sized specimens,only large sized linces.Smaller fish would mean smaller and less weighty shipping containers.

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Not sure what, upon clicking, should have seemed wrong but IMHO we should leave this thread to be about lince. Why not start your own thread? It sounds like a fun topic, just doesn't belong here...
I meant wrong by what I'm keeping now and up until this point I was perfectly fine just looking on here and the local zoo and seeing the monsters a few people like yourself and others keep. Never really feeling that I wanted to deal with a giant tank. Now I have to at some point keep a Lince. Sorry if that was off topic.

Back to the topic, would it be possible to anesthetize to lower their stress level and then rig a pump to blow water through their gills to keep them alive? Seems like trying something like that would be better than just accepting a high mortality rate of such a beautiful cat.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Oh, I see. So this is all still about the lince. The way it was worded before seemed to me like it was about any fish. Sorry.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought breathing reflex is unaffected by anesthetic unless an overdose occurs. Thus, I think the pump rig wouldn't be needed.

I'd think the exporters / importers have already experimented with transporting lince in various ways but it is merely a rather groundless supposition... because based on the great value of the fish and its scarcity, there is a tangible potential for big earnings.

As for the smaller lince, I seem to vaguely recall reading that lince is geographically inaccessible until the size it is caught at or some such... Don't quote me on this.

Reactions: moe214

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting,sounds like there are breeding areas that the lince migrates to and once the fish reaches a certain size they travel to another location.

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
The thing with lince cats coming in smaller sizes is that when theu come available they are immediately swooped up by buyers that ship them to asia and Europe. Smaller ones under 12" are.collected but by the time anyone realizes it its already on its way out the door to biv spenders. We unfortunately are on the bottom of the list. I have a 15" coming in next week . Only hurdle left is getting it to the states from s.a.! But to answer anyones questions on the fish is that Shipping it is a nightmare as bad as an Africa tiger fish adult size. Dies easily. Needs a ton of o2 and excellent water. Not good but perfect. If u cant afford the tank or setup don't even bother with this fish. It rivals keeping a small black tip shark!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The thing with lince cats coming in smaller sizes is that when theu come available they are immediately swooped up by buyers that ship them to asia and Europe. Smaller ones under 12" are.collected but by the time anyone realizes it its already on its way out the door to biv spenders. We unfortunately are on the bottom of the list. I have a 15" coming in next week . Only hurdle left is getting it to the states from s.a.! But to answer anyones questions on the fish is that Shipping it is a nightmare as bad as an Africa tiger fish adult size. Dies easily. Needs a ton of o2 and excellent water. Not good but perfect. If u cant afford the tank or setup don't even bother with this fish. It rivals keeping a small black tip shark!
Awesome post Phil,please keep us updated on your lince after it arrives.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store