maskaheros argentea

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Mine have been they grow a little slower than what in used to compared to bifas, melanura, etc.

But they are tough and can be rough with other cichlids. They are drop dead gorgeous and I am considering getting them again myself.

Reactions: chefwill

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I've also heard they grow slowly. But, you'd be hard pressed to find a better looking cichlid.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My alpha male grew quickly, from 2.5" to 10"-12" in a little over a year, while the others only made it to about 7" before he killed them off.
There were about 10 juries to start with from Don Conkel, put in a 150 gal tank with a 50gal sump. I normally do every other day 30% water changes, which I consider the most important factor in the growth rate.
This was back in the mid 90s.
I then got another pair, around 2005 which grew much slower, but were in a tank where water changes were much less regular.
The male killed the female soon after they spawned.
In my experience, they don't do well with other cichlids, or any other high bodied (especially silver colored) fish, unless in a tank of 300 gallons or more. If in a smaller space, smaller none cichlids such as live bearers would make better tank mates, which they seem to ignore.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I have 2 in a 540 Gallon tank. Mine grew VERY slow, they're 2-3 years and 8-10 inches. Not real thick, yet. They just don't really look like adult CA cichlids yet--hard to explain. I have an article Rapps sent me when I emailed him about Argentea that said Argentea take 3 years to become sexually mature.

argpg1.jpg

argpg2.jpg

argpg3.jpg

argpg4.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store