Trying to break my GATF off live..

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
So I tried using the fishing line method by tying a knot around the tail end of a market prawn placed in the current from my wave makers. The gatf didn't even show any interest and out comes two other tankmates that did. My albino clown knife quickly took the bait and swam off. I had the other end of the line tied around my finger so I basically yanked it out of his throat without doing any damage. I've already fed the rest at least half a lb of market prawn already, clown knife having at least 5-6. Judging from the reaction and force of the initial bite (gatf being even bigger), I'm afraid of the line getting tangled against the teeth of the gatf. If I try to yank it off, the inevitable thrashing will cause a great deal of damage to the gatf itself. Sigh, and that's if he actually showed interest in the first place. Going on the third week of fasting.. Let's see how this goes. If still no signs at one month period, going to put in flash frozen dead feeders..

Reactions: sunnysjourney

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
So I tried using the fishing line method by tying a knot around the tail end of a market prawn placed in the current from my wave makers. The gatf didn't even show any interest and out comes two other tankmates that did. My albino clown knife quickly took the bait and swam off. I had the other end of the line tied around my finger so I basically yanked it out of his throat without doing any damage. I've already fed the rest at least half a lb of market prawn already, clown knife having at least 5-6. Judging from the reaction and force of the initial bite (gatf being even bigger), I'm afraid of the line getting tangled against the teeth of the gatf. If I try to yank it off, the inevitable thrashing will cause a great deal of damage to the gatf itself. Sigh, and that's if he actually showed interest in the first place. Going on the third week of fasting.. Let's see how this goes. If still no signs at one month period, going to put in flash frozen dead feeders..
If your fish is wild caught at the size then there is a change it won't accept any type of frozen foods, you would get better change with smaller size GATF. Some predators need a live feed cause the "panic mode" of the prey trigger the predator hunting/eating mode.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
It will happen buddy hang in there! :). But be prepared for some losses, the GATF will probably try to take a chunk out of its tank mates before eating non live food.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Now this is really frustrating.. Gatf isn't even bothering with the frozen feeders.. My other fish eventually get to them after awhile. Going to keep trying this week.. Not sure how much longer I should hold out on live ones...

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
He's large so you have time don't stress it to much

Lobonator

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2015
I dont know if blood worms would work cause he is so big. But I got my TATY taking blood worms first before pellets

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
There is a sticky on this sub forum about how to get a payara to take non live food... the Tl;dr is:
tie up a small piece of cut fish to a string and dangle it near your powerhead to make it look 'alive'... That might help you.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
I've been doing that for Awhile now, it ends up getting picked apart by the RTGG, albino knife before. To my surprise, he does eat those tiny blood worms when passing by his face.. I'm sure it's like eating a pellet of rice for him... on a side note, just wanted to show off a monster gatf a friend of mine showed me that's in someone's private aquaria here..

IMG_3987.JPG

Reactions: moe214 and JK47
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store